Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Out and About - June 2015


The weather this month has gone from being too hot and humid to downright cold to somewhere in between.  It has expressed my mood quite well......languid to exhilarated and somewhere in between.  I shared in the first post for the month how I was feeling about my life.  Poetry captures how I felt as she lies in the window trying to catch a breeze. . . .

Then one morning this doe and her fawn helped snap me out of it. . . .

I spent a lot of time this month keeping up with the weeding and deadheading of my garden.  I keep a Garden Journal in which I record which plants are in bloom.   This one volunteered in my Arbor Garden a few years back.  It has such a pretty lacy flower.  I thought it might be Cow Parsley or Queen Anne's Lace so I searched on the Internet and discovered what it really is.....the most poisonous plant in North America!   Water Hemlock. . . .
I pulled it out and bagged it, but it keeps coming back, so I've started "painting" Round-Up on it.

In the meantime, my Gardenia "tree" bloomed.  I moved it closer to the walk so I can catch a whiff of its lovely fragrance when I pass by. . . .

Here is a close-up of the cottage in my miniature garden I showed you last month. . . .

Olivia June loves having Gabriel ride in her wagon.  She's forever trying to hug and kiss him. . . .

Ken on Father's Day with our offpsring. . . .

And this is my newest offspring, I Come in the Little Things  . . . .
I wanted a place I could record the moments in my week that embody Tasha Tudor's life philosophy of taking joy in the little things in life.  The title, I Come in the Little Things, is from the Eveyln Underhill poem that Tasha often quoted.  The idea to start a new Web Journal came to me after stumbling upon Lesley Austin's website when I was searching for ideas on ways to celebrate Tasha Tudor's upcoming 100th anniversary birthday next month.  Lesley writes, "I am in love with what I like to call the Everyday Deep...for I find that our Everydays have all the scope for imagination one could want."  A friend's mention of Sarah Ban Breathnach's Midsummer's Eve entry in Simple Abundance that talks about Tasha Tudor's account of her Midsummer's Eve celebration took me in search of my copy.   Sarah writes that Midsummer's Day has become her personal midcourse correction for the year.   I thought it was serendipitous that I read this on the day I decided to make my own midcourse correction.  When I noticed it was June 24th, Midsummrer's Day, I had no choice, as they say, to start my new Web Journal right then and there.  It is still evolving into what I hope will be a place for quiet contemplation....to remind myself what is really important and to inspire me to notice and take in the moments God is showing me His glory.  I hope you will sign-up to receive my posts so you can go along on my journey, too.  You can read the first entry HERE and then use the "Next Post" link to move on to the next post until you are caught up.

Olivia June was in Italy for 10 days with her parents and other grandparents earlier this month.  Here she is gesturing like a true Italian as she expresses her excitement over the songs on her Granddaddy's iPad. . . .

And finally, another of the joys in my life. . . .

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!

21 comments:

  1. What a great photo of Poetry and she does have the look you were describing! Your posts are always so interesting and informative and I am going to really soak up your new blog as well. Nice to see your offspring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dotsie. I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely family, Cathy! You are blessed! I've taken a peek at your new journal and will be reading along. The photos of Olivia June are just precious. What a well travelled toddler she is. Enjoy your evening. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. I'm glad you're coming along!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe Olivia is already a world traveler! It's a wonderful picture of your family. It must bring you great joy when they are all gathered together. I know how hard that is to have happen once they are grown up and leading their own lives. Fergus says to tell Gabriel he needs to be assertive and take his plače back. Now I need to go have a look at your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha...I gave Gabriel Fergus' message. Yes, my family members are world travelers except for me. I've only been to Cancun and Vancouver Island. This year alone someone has been to or will be going to Iceland, Italy and Peru/Bolivia!

      Delete
  4. Just going to pop over to take a look at your new journal. Beautiful family and adorable Grandaughter they bring so much pleasure don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, mamasmercantile! Yes, they to bring much pleasure, but angst as well. As I'm sure you know, being a mama, while a "bed of roses," isn't the thornless kind!

      Delete
  5. Poetry & Gabriel are adorable, ours are lying on the brick floors trying to keep cool, we have a heatwave here in England this week. Our cottage is what is called a mud & stud cottage so in the Summer it keeps very cool & then warm in the Winter.
    I love your garden, such a pretty cottage & Olivia June is such a darling.
    Can't wait to see your new writings.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Michelle. I was just reading this morning about your heat wave! I hope it does not hurt your gardens. Your cottage is like our basement. Being underground it always so much cooler down there (we have it fixed up with living areas). Before we got air conditioning installed we'd practically live down there in the summer. We have been having some pleasant weather here--in between the torrential rains. I'm sorry if my complaining about our heat wave earlier in the summer caused our countries to flip-flop weather! I'd never wish a heat wave on anyone in order to get rid of mine! ☺

      Delete
  6. This was such a lovely post you've written. Little Olivia June is so adorable. And I loved seeing your little furry friends. I'm going to check out your new web journal now. My best to you, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I'm so glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  7. Hi, Cathy ... here it is July already and it seems I've lost the month of June somewhere! Can't believe half the year has come and gone. Your description of Olivia June's gesturing is perfect for that darling snapshot; it should be interesting to see if her vocalizing increases as well! Interesting info about the water hemlock; had not heard of it. It's delightful, isn't it, to finally see three generations together in family photos? I'm sure Ken is a proud papa. I've just signed up to receive your latest journal posts; does your creative mind have no limits?!? When I was working, I kept my copy of Simple Abundance in my desk for inspiration, and made diary-like notations in it of memorable events I wanted to remember. That was as creative as I ever got! Wishing you and yours a Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The month did seem to fly by. My creative mind, as you put it, is only something I became aware of in my late 40's so I feel I have a lot of lost time to make up! I hope you will get your Simple Abundance out again and see what it might draw out of you this time. You never know!

      Delete
  8. Cathy, there is no need to tell you what an amazing dog Gabriel is with Olivia June, but I marvel at him! How very sweet of her to "give him rides".

    Thank you for sharing about the Water Hemlock. It's been awhile since I worried much about poisonous plants - not being given to eating from the wild - but you certainly must with Gabriel and Olivia June. I'm surprised that you have the right environment for it to grow. Do you have a wet habitat on your land?
    There is a stream and a pond next to ours. I will be on the lookout for it although I must say the leaves look very common, much like some of my Astilbe plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Water Hemlock showed up in a shady part of my garden and has thrived in the shade of a hosta along with the Bishop's Weed that also self-seeded, I guess via birds? It's not near a water source--only what it gets from rain. But we have clay and a part of our property is considered "wetlands" so maybe it's just the right soil for it. I was sorry to see the pretty flower go, but didn't want to take the chance that Gabriel might nibble on it when he gets an upset stomach.

      Delete
  9. Love that gardenia tree, Cathy. One of the world's greatest scents, isn't it? Unmistakable. I remember my mother always talking about gardenias being the big choice for corsages etc in her day. Her sister was 9 years older, and Mom apparently spent a big part of her "little sisterhood" in a state of "heroine" worship, watching her big sister get ready for dates and big events. Do her hair, put on the [very little] makeup allowed, dress in her party clothes, gloves, etc. And then of course get picked up by her dates, corsage in hand. Gardenias or orchids, I guess. I wonder if one was more expensive, or difficult to grow? Wow, Olivia is turning out to be a redhead! How about that? My Dad's very Irish family has some redheads but none of the 11 grandkids have it. We're all brunettes except me and two of my sibs who are blondes, which we suspect is from my Mom's side of the family which was solidly German. How cute is Olivia with Gabriel by the way? She'd probably squeeze him flat if she could manage to hang onto him long enough. Good thing she won't ever be able to... LOL! I don't imagine Poetry would display the same astounding patience as Gabriel. Does she take off & hide when Olivia comes over? That's what my Mom's cat, a really lovey tabby cat, did when my niece Julia was the same age. Julia would have been a legendary cat-smoosher if any of the cats in her life HADN'T been able to hide from her. Oh, and I love your garden cottage - that little thatched roof English cottage was the perfect choice for that spot. Great news about your new journal too! I added the bookmark for it in my "Favorites" so I'll get a daily reminder, along with "Morning Musings" and "Another Perfect Day." PS - Olivia really does look like she's speaking Italian with Grandpa, but then she's always been pretty expressive, so that bright, animated look of her face could be [A] just natural for her or [B] due to the broadening effects of world travel! LOL! If she asks for an espresso anytime soon, that could be the tipofff! Take care and talk to you soon - and have a wonderful holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it must be the lighting in that one photo because her hair doesn't really look that red usually. You're right about Poetry hiding. I don't think Olivia has met Poetry yet! We'll find out on the 11th if Poetry minds being hugged when Olivia comes to stay with us for 5 days. I remember Gardenias in the yard when I was a child in Mississippi. I have to bring my Gardenia "tree" inside for the winter because it wouldn't overwinter here.

      Delete
    2. Wow, Olivia & Poetry haven't met yet? Poetry IS one great hider, plus I would have thought the urge to investigate this new small human who occasionally shows up at your house would be irresistible to her. You're right - you will find out soon! I hope Poetry is OK with getting flattened at least once - Olivia is sure to try it, because you know she's gonna love the kitty! :>) Have your camera ready!

      Delete
    3. Janet, Poetry hides whenever there are a bunch of people in the house and the only time Olivia's visited here is when the whole family has been home. I'm sure Poetry will be out and about when it's just Olivia, but if Poetry doesn't want to be caught she'll skedaddle out of the way.

      Delete
  10. What joy seeing Gabriel, Poetry and Olivia and the doe and fawn! You will lucky to discover that the plant was Water Hemlock rather than Queen Ann's lace. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.