|Statue of William Penn|
New Castle, Delaware was first settled by the Dutch in 1651. In 1654 the Swedes seized it. The Dutch took it back the next year. In 1664 the English seized it, giving it its name. The Dutch took it back in 1673 only to give it back the next year in the Treaty of Westminster. In 1680 the Duke of York gave it, along with what is now Pennsyl- vania, to William Penn as payment on a debt the Crown owed him.