Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Sunday, July 28, 2019

Beatrix Potter's Birthday



“I am aware these little books don't last long even if they are a success.”
― Beatrix Potter

Several of Beatrix's characters have gathered to wish her a ♫Happy Birthday♫
Today is Beatrix Potter's birthday.  Born in 1866 she grew up in the Victorian age.  She was torn between being a dutiful Victorian daughter and following her own heart.  Eventually she found a way to do both through her "little books."  They brought her the financial success she needed in order to break away from dependence on her parents while allowing her to carry out their expectations for her.  Little did she know that her little books would be so successful that she would be able to buy up over 5,000 acres of farm land in the Lake District that she would eventually give to the National Trust for preservation.  And even more so did she little know that more than 100 years later they would still be read by millions of children and adults.  

“I remember every stone, every tree, the scent of heather... Even when the thunder growled in the distance, and the wind swept up the valley in fitful gusts, oh, it was beautiful, home sweet home.” 
― Beatrix Potter

Her books were not a part of my life until I had my own children.  I loved her illustrations!  When I find an author/illustrator I love I need to learn more about their life so I read every book on her that I could find.  I am always drawn to people who dare to step out of society's box for them and pursue their dreams so I felt I'd found a kindred spirit.  It was only natural that I would include several of her characters in my children's story, Gabriel's Tale.  You can read that chapter HERE

Then in 2016 I used her illustrations to practice my drawing and painting.  I blogged each month about them. Jemima Puddle-duck took us on a journey each month through the Lake District pointing out the locations Beatrix used for that particular story.  You can read that first post HERE, then click on "Newer Post" at the bottom of each post (after the comments) for the next month's installment.


After spending the year researching the Lake District I was ready to jump in with both feet and visit "Beatrix Potter land" in person.  Susan Branch's picnic at Castle Cottage in 2018 was just the push I needed.  It was so exciting to visit the places I'd painstakingly drawn and watercolored.  I'd drawn a map of the area so I was very familiar with the lay of the land. . . .


I booked our room at the Tower Bank Arms. . . .


You can read my post about Tower Bank Arms HERE.

And made sure to walk the path to Far Sawrey in search of St. Peter's Parish Church that Gabriel finds on his journey. . . .

You can read that post HERE.

But the highlight was visiting Hill Top, the first property that Beatrix bought and used as her get-away abode while still caring for her parents.  She never actually lived in Hill Top because she eventually married William Heelis and bought Castle Cottage as their residence.  Hill Top was kept as her personal retreat.  It was a place she could display her favorite belongings.  A place where she drew inspiration for her stories. . . .

You can read my post about Hill Top HERE.

We also visited Hawkshead where William had his law office.  The building now houses the Beatrix Potter Gallery.  From there we visited The Armitt in Ambleside.  This museum featured Beatrix's interest in natural sciences.  Before her little books she drew and painted mushrooms and kept a nature diary. . . . 
Beatrix Potter Gallery in Hawkshead
Beatrix's Nature Diary at The Armitt 

You can read my post on this visit HERE.

“I remember every stone, every tree, the scent of heather... Even when the thunder growled in the distance, and the wind swept up the valley in fitful gusts, oh, it was beautiful, home sweet home.” 
― Beatrix Potter

What may not be very well known about Beatrix is that her favorite stories were collected into a book she would not let be published in Great Britain.  Instead she sent it to a publisher in the United States because she felt the stories were "too personal--too autobiographical" to share with her own countrymen..  She called the book, The Fairy Caravan, and wrote this in the Preface. . . .

As I walk'd by myself,
And talked to myself,
Myself said unto me--

Through many changing seasons these tales have walked and talked with me.  They were not meant for printing; I have left them in the homely idiom of our old north country speech.  I send them on the insistence of friends beyond the sea.

If you are interested in Beatrix's lesser known stories, you can find them all, including stories that appeared in magazines, in Leslie Linder's A History of The Writings of Beatrix Potter.

I think how I most identify with Beatrix, though, is with her love of the countryside surrounding her home.  It was hard to choose just one photograph from our trip to the Lake District to illustrate this.  The one I chose shows Esthwaite Water barely visible in the distance to left with the backdrop of the surrounding mountains and Moss Eccles Tarn on the right, surrounded by pine trees, where she and William would row out into the middle to fish in the evenings. . . .

As she grew older and unable to walk the fells as she once had she wrote. . . .

“Thank God I have the seeing eye, that is to say, as I lie in bed I can walk step by step on the fells and rough land seeing every stone and flower and patch of bog and cotton pass where my old legs will never take me again.” 
― Beatrix Potter

Rest in Peace dear Beatrix.  Your beloved countryside is being well cared for.

 

19 comments:

  1. Many thanks for this loving ,insightful and most beautiful post of Love for writer who is magically like you are.. and hopefully guides you onward and upward to your published books as well. As always, you inspire me to follow my own bliss and listen to the Voice as it speaks to my Soul as well, to unfold Its Plan with humility and grace. Love to you, Cathy and all you do to make the world see beauty and depth, fearlessness and joy. in following our dreams.Merri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Merri for your encouragement. I need to take a cue from Beatrix and be more diligent in getting my stories published!

      Delete
  2. A lovely tribute to the one and only Beatrix Potter. Long may she be remembered for all she has left to posterity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she will never be forgotten as long as the Lake District remains the lovely, pristine area that it is.

      Delete
  3. Long may she live on in our hearts, thoughts and be an influence for the good over many generations to come. Lovely words and pictures as we celebrate her special day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's also an example for us now to save the whole Earth from climate change deniers! I hope there will be those who pick up her mantle here in the States and across the world.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad that you were able to visit the Lake District. What a wonderful trip you had. I hope you can go back yet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are thinking about returning to spend more time in Coniston as well go up to Derwentwater where Beatrix set her tale of Squirrel Nutkin. If we go, it would probably be next year in early Fall.

      Delete
  5. A wonderful tribute, long may she live in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A year ago you were there. It was nice to go back and read that post again. I had not read much of her until I had children. I loved to give her little books to newborns. A lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I never knew that about Beatrix sending material to a publisher in the US. But then I'm not an expert on her like you are, Cathy. You know so much you could almost be a biographer. That's a lot of research you've done - just like a biographer would do. I enjoyed re-reading some of your prior BP posts too. And I LOVE that artwork you did of the Tower Bank Arms door & the church! They're very good - you have a real talent for architectural artwork. Maybe you missed your calling & should have gone into architecture or interior design - or with your gardening skills - landscape design! Something to ponder in odd moments - LOL. Hope you're enjoying your Summer - has it been beastly hot down Maryland way? We've been pretty lucky here in upstate NY. We've had our hot days but not long stretches of tropic weather like some areas of the country. Take care & thanks for the virtual return to the Lake District. Peace. ❤️🐾🌿🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet! It's easier to draw using a ruler! It's been beastly hot here. We'll work in the yard and garden until noon, then quit for the day because of the intensity of the heat. We had a few days of regular summer heat now it's back in the 90s again. I'm glad you've escaped it for the most part.

      Delete
  8. You write such lovely travelogues, Cathy. I always enjoy them. You are so skilled at noticing wonderful details and adding lovely bits of information. I look forward to the next place you will share with us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elaine! I hope you and your garden have weathered our heat wave this summer. More of the same this coming week! Thank you for your compliment. We have a short trip planned to the Eastern Shore (Oxford) in September. I hope to post about it. We were last there in the 1970s.

      Delete
    2. personal circumstances, rains and cleanups and heat left my garden plans in my dreams.
      However, the daylilies and hydrangeas have been a joy - except for the deer devouring my Lemon Lilies - 2 dozen tall stems greeted the day after a rainy night; they do love to eat the buds!

      It's been a couple of years since we went down to the Eastern shore, we always enjoy it. The maritime museum in St Michael's may interest you.

      Delete
    3. Elaine, I have a doe and her two fawns devouring my hostas! They only eat the leaves. It would be nice if they'd eat the stems down to the ground so that at least I wouldn't have any fall clean-up to do.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.