Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Susan Branch Picnic at Castle Cottage


I'd come to England to attend Susan Branch's Bring-Your-Own Picnic Basket event which was to be held on the grounds of Castle Cottage, Beatrix Potter's home from 1913 to 1943.  Ken and I were staying at the Tower Bank Arms just across the way from Castle Cottage.  Here is the view from our window that morning. . . .
Castle Cottage is the white cottage in the distance on the right
After breakfast we headed for Moss Eccles Tarn passing Susan and Joe with Mandy Marshall (the current tenant of Castle Cottage) coming down Stones Lane.  I waited till they passed to snap this photo because I am not so bold (brazen?) as to interrupt them for a posed photo.  I even passed up getting a photo of them eating dinner the night before at the table next to us at Tower Bank Arms! 😞 ←(disappointed)  You can see Tower Bank Arms in the distance.  Our room was the window upstairs to the left of the entrance. . . .

We were the only walkers on the path to the Tarn. . . .


It was so peaceful.  Beatrix and her husband would come up here often to row their boat and fish. . . .

Later, just before it was time to walk over to the picnic, I couldn't help myself when I spied them out my window.  There were Susan and Joe with Siobhan and Stuart from Oxford with Jack. . . .

This was another chance.....I figured since people were queuing up for the Picnic I was no longer invading her private space.  We hurried down to get a photo before they left. . . .

Stuart--CarrieinOxford's husband for those who follow Carrie on Twitter--was holding the famous Jack.  He was waiting for Carrie to finish the tour of Hill Top.  He told me he'd just learned dogs were not allowed at the picnic.  I offered our room to Jack, but since it was cool that day he was going to leave Jack in his car since Jack would be more comfortable in a familiar space.  Parking is very limited in Near Sawrey so he'd parked across the road in the very small Hill Top parking area designated for tour buses.  Hill Top is closed on Fridays so he hoped it was OK.  This worried me so I checked with the proprietor of Tower Bank Arms, asked if we could give a friend our parking spot since we came by bus and weren't using it, and he said "sure" because tour buses WOULD be using that lot that day for private tours.  So I held on to Jack while Stuart moved his car.  I was missing my fur baby so this was a bonus for me. . . .

Then we headed for Castle Cottage. . . .







The garden was beautiful and the views of the surrounding area were stunning.  The white dots on the hill are sheep❣️ . . .





That's Mandy in pink greeting people as they arrived. . . .



The white building in the distance is Tower Bank Arms.  Hill Top, the first property Beatrix bought in the Lake District in 1905,  is behind the trees to the left of Tower Bank Arms. . . .


Mandy had set up a Tea Room in an outbuilding where for a donation for cancer research you could get a cup of tea and cake. . . .

....down at the other end of the property to the left. . . .

You could also purchase books and cards and other items there. . . .

Looking back from the tea room. . . .



Here are several panoramic shots that Ken took that will give you an overview of the picnic. . . .

We were very fortunate to have no rain (and no hot sun) but the wind made it chilly so people put their blankets and chairs along the perimeter next to the walls that enclosed the garden. . . .



Susan spent most of the time greeting people and signing books. . . .



One of the lovely picnic lunches people brought. . . .

Susan called for our attention and greeted us all expressing her gratitude to Mandy for opening her home and thanking us all for coming. . . .



We then all gathered together so the photographer from Victoria magazine could take our photo.  The picnic will be featured in the September issue. . . .


Susan and Joe posed for photos. . . .








Then she was out and about again visiting. . . .


Finally she got to sit down and eat her picnic lunch with Siobhan and Rachel, who'd surprised Susan by her unplanned arrival during the picnic. . . .



We hung out with the nicest couple from a village near Manchester, Andi and Rick.  Here is Andi getting her books signed by Susan. . . .

Towards the end Stuart brought Jack over. . . .

Mandy went down to tell him Jack could come in now that her two puppies were back in the house. . . .

Jack was very eager to be with his mummy again. . . .

We left the picnic at 3:30 to change and go out for another walk.  We headed up Stones Lane again--this time for the path to Far Sawrey.  As we passed behind Castle Cottage we saw that Susan was still there with a few of their friends. . . .

On the path to Far Sawrey we could look back and see Near Sawrey off in the distance. . . .

There was one section where we walked on a farm road with the sheep and lambs❣️. . . .

                

In Far Sawrey we dined at the Cuckoo Brow Inn and guess who walked inThis time I snuck a photo. . . .

As we left the Inn the rain that had threatened all afternoon started drizzling.  Our walk back to Near Sawrey along the narrow road was delightful.  I turned around to get this photo of the Far Sawrey sign. . . .

When we got to the footpath we saw that several sheep had escaped the pasture. . . .

The one on the right leapt over the stream, and headed back through the space in between the fence boards while the other two followed.  Naughty, naughty.  She knew she'd been caught!

You can enlarge these photos and view them as a slide show by clicking on the first one.

Susan has done posts about their walk to Moss Eccles Tarn and Castle Cottage HERE and HERE, and a post about Hill Top and the picnic HERE.

Soon I will post more of our time in the Lake District.  Stay tuned!

You may also like:

Video about Mandy Marshall's handbags made from Herdwick Wool

Mandy's Website

Up Next:  The Journey Begins - Dreams Can Come True

20 comments:

  1. Such a "Perfect Day", Cathy! Your photos show the true beauty of a place that makes my heart homesick. The picnic with all the girlfriends is so lovely. I love seeing the photos of Susan and Joe and everyone that we all "know" on social media. Hopefully we will see a photo of you and Ken. I will stay tuned and soon I will be posting about our trip to Hill Top as well. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha Ellen. I just added another photo and a video towards the end from our walk to Far Sawrey--I wrote this post yesterday and keep thinking of scenes I wan to add!

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is a wonderful account of the day! Thank you so much for sharing! How fortunate you are to have attended!��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've always wanted to go to England and Susan's picnic spurred us to finally do it.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful day for you; what a wonderful holiday! Oh, how I wish I could have been there, but it was not to be, but I have enjoyed, even shed a little happy tear or two, reading this account of a magical day for Susan Branch Girlfriends. I was so looking forward to meeting you, Christie and Sharon {as well as Susan, of course}. Maybe next time? Until then, I shall revisit you here while sipping tea from my Castle Cottage mug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised not to have more British Twitter friends there. It would have been so nice to meet you, too. I had not "met" Andi before on Twitter so it was nice to have her to hang out with. She hadn't met anyone else either in person.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm not likely ever to get to the Lake District, but I so enjoyed seeing the pictures and "pretending!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to be able to share. It was a hassle getting there (and back because of cancelled flights) but I'm glad we went because pictures really can't convey how beautiful it was to walk along the lanes with the stones walls and the lambs romping in the pastures. I'd be content to stay in one place in the countryside and just walk every day. We averaged 9 miles a day!

      Delete
  5. Great post, Cathy. I thought of you in April or May whenever Susan posted news of her trip through the UK - either "Oh Cathy must be getting so excited, she's about to leave for England..." or "Oh Cathy must be having the best time touring the UK in Spring - getting excited for the Girlfriend picnic etc..." Glad to hear it went so well. Glad you didn't have hot weather too. I'd much rather wear a hoodie or rain jacket for a picnic than swelter in the heat. And cloudy dampish skies just seem so right for England. More greens than any other place on earth, I think. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip every bit as much. Looking forward to hearing about that as well. Where else did you visit? Where were you on the day of the royal wedding? What did you bring back with you etc etc? So jealous - I've been to Europe but never to the British Isles. Still on my bucket list, I guess. Maybe someday. Who knows? Oh and great photos too. Loved the little lambs - there's truly nothing sweeter. They always remind me of babies for some reason [so do violets - weird huh?]. Well thanks for the newsy post. I was truly looking forward to it. Take care! 🌷🇺🇸🇬🇧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were home by the time of the royal wedding. You will just have wait for the next posts to find out where we went! I'm still thinking about how I will break it down into little stories. I figured I'd better do the picnic first since so many of my readers are FOSB. We did have 2 somewhat hot days when we were walking, but it could have been pouring down rain which would have been worse. Meanwhile, it was raining just about the whole time back home!

      Delete
  6. What a fun experience for you! And that Ken supports you in fulfilling your wishes and dreams is no small thing. My Tom was very patient back in 2000 when I waited hours to reach Susan's table during a signing event in Pennsylvania; I'm not at all sure he would cross the pond with me for a second gathering! lol Waiting patiently here in Alabama for continuing coverage of all things British ... (loved those little lambs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken wants to move there and be a tour guide! He's been wanting to travel for a long time while it's been me who's needed the push.

      Delete
  7. I so enjoyed this tour! Thank you for sharing your experience. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope this trip was all you expected it to be! Looks like there was quite a good crowd for the picnic, were there many that had come from the U.S?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only knew a few from Twitter. I have no idea where the rest came from. A book was passed around for people to sign, so maybe Susan will do a post about it when she gets home.

      Delete
  9. What an incredible dream-come-true adventure, Cathy! Heartfelt thanks for taking us along. Girlfriends everywhere were thinking of Susan and Joe and all of the lucky friends who gathered in their honor on that most special day. Your photos are just lovely, Cathy and Ken! What fun to see the beautiful grounds of Castle Cottage. Your photos of Susan and Joe together are simply priceless!♥ Hold tight to these precious memories, Cathy! They are sure to inspire your creativity in so many wonderful ways! Can't wait to hear more... ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanking you for stopping by, Dawn, and for your enthusiastic response! I'm enjoying reliving the experience through my Journal (another reason to tell your friend why she should start "blogging").

      Delete
  10. Hi Cathy! I stumbled across your blog and was excited to see that you were at Susan Branch's picnic at Castle Cottage last May. I too was there, with a group led by Mandy Marshall, as we explored Beatrix Potter's Lake District. Please check out my post on our trip at https://sandrahutchinson.com/2018/07/17/a-week-in-beatrix-potters-lake-district-in-england-a-bit-of-heaven/
    It's wonderful to relive some of our adventure, through another's eyes! Best regards, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy! I stumbled across your post last August and left a message there. I'm so glad you found my post and enjoyed reliving your experience there. We'd love to go back to Coniston and further explore that area further.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.