Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Thursday, May 31, 2018

Promises Kept

Spring kept its promise.  Here it is!  If you compare the below picture with the one on my last post you will see what I mean. . . .

What a difference!  We came home from England to find our own little lush garden awaiting us.

This is a wild rose that planted itself in the above Azalea bush on the left.  When the Azalea blossoms fade the rose bush takes over. . . .

Coming up the front steps this is what you see. . . .

So much of my garden is self-seeded--like these ferns.  Sometimes I move the self-seeding plants to inside the beds and sometimes I let them have their way. . . .

All the Daisies are self-seeded.  I never planted even one plant.  They just showed up.  I guess they like my garden!  When they finish blooming I just pull out the entire plant if its in a walkway and it returns next year anyway. . . .

Another self-seeding, came from who-knows-where-plant that I have no idea what it is. . . .

I just pull pieces up from the gravel and put it in a pot.  This chicken seems very happy with her showy shawl. . . .

This is one of my potted annuals.  I love the Gypsy Rose Baby's Breath and Pink Bidens together. . . .

A white Wild Rose showed up in this pot so I let it stay and added other renegade plants. . . .

The Ivy-leafed Toadflax has the sweetest little flower.  I don't mind at all that it has grown up between the bricks in my walkway--another visitor that stayed. . . .

I still have a pink Bleeding Heart in bloom behind the Baptisa under the Arborvitae. . . .

This Hummingbird Moth is having a full meal there. . . .

                       

I pruned the Rambling Rose hard in late winter and see I will be rewarded richly soon. . . .

We've had so much rain this Spring that my Clematis is inundated with flowers--there are more growing over the top intermingled with the soon-to-be rose blossoms. . . .


These peonies came with the house 37 years ago, but I moved them out from under some bushes to the "field" so they could get more sun.  But because we did not mow around the bed trees sprung up in the midst and once again I got very few blossoms between the shade and the deer.  So I moved a bunch of the plants into our fenced front yard where once again they can get sun and low and behold Peonies!

You are looking back into the front yard now from the Arbor garden--Climbing Hydrangea on the left and Eden Climbing Rose on the right. . . .

The white Wild Rose has never climbed this high in the Dogwood before.  Its white blossoms obligingly replaced the Dogwood's blossoms. . . .

The bees love the Penstemon which is another self-seeder and plants itself on a whim. . . .

Here the Gladiola amongst the Hosta with Spiderwort and Penstemon in the background along with the Bleeding Heart that has gone out of bloom but continues to grow heartily. . . .

Along the side of the house is Virginia Creeper softening the red brick.  My kitchen window by my little bistro table overlooks the Arbor garden. . . .

Gardening is only something I discovered 28 years ago when my sons were twelve, eight and two.  My garden became for me a place in which to continue to birth new life.  Now that my boys are grown and flown the nest it has become a place to enjoy the fruit of my efforts.  What other endeavor rewards you so abundantly than to plant a garden and reap the bounty of its beauty!


14 comments:

  1. Your garden looks so pretty, Cathy. What a nice homecoming for you. I believe the little yellow bloomer in your chicken planter is creeping yellow sedum. I used to have some, but it took over my garden so I had to remove it. I've been removing thousands (not kidding) of rudbeckia seedlings that have taken over that same bed. I've thought of you and all the flooding. Glad to see you are okay. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are up on Braddock Mountain along the ridge so we do not get flooding near our house. Part of the road washed away, though, going down the mountain! I have Rudbeckia springing up all over the place, too. It just keeps marching forward. I dig it up and put it elsewhere on our property when it plants itself in front of shorter plants. Thank you for the name of the creeping yellow sedum. I may eventually have to do the same with it as you.

      Delete
  2. Cathy your garden is lovely and lush. You probably have had a lot of rain as we have, and things are really growing. I hope you had a good visit across the pond. But I'm sure it's good to be home,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain has really made a difference in my garden. It makes me realize I need to water my garden more in the years we don't get this much rain. We were only home a week when we went off on vacation with the family for 5 days so now I can say I am truly home, and yes, it IS good to be home! England was lovely--I will start my posts soon about it.

      Delete
    2. Will look forward to them!

      Delete
  3. Cathy, the gardens are gorgeous! Didn't realize you'd traveled to England ... do I need to look more closely at Susan's picnic photos?! Can't wait to see what you have to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can see the back of me in a couple photos! I may be awhile getting my trip posted here. Ken and I both have over 1000 photos EACH to go through!

      Delete
    2. Eeek! So excited to see it all!

      Delete
  4. Everything in, and about, your garden is so lovely. I do so enjoy it when plants freely self seed ~ which ever spot they pick to grow they always seem to thrive, as if they know best! They probably do. Looking forward to hearing about your trip to England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the plants thrive best where they plant themselves. If I was closer to the street I'd set up a plant stand and sell the ones I dig up!

      Delete
  5. As always, your garden is awesome, Cathy! And not just the plants, which are gorgeous - but I really like all the architectural elements too. Fencing, the picket gate, stone borders around some of the beds, the stone paths, the pergola, the latticework arch, the wrought iron etc etc. Makes things so much more interesting. Did you have a plan at the beginning and just work toward it? Or did you just sort of add this or that here & there over the years, as you found things you liked? Something tells me Ken probably figures prominently in the architectural side of things - right? Oh, and I'm looking forward to hearing ALL about your trip across the pond. Every time I read one of Susan B's posts I thought of you & hoped you were having your dream trip of all time. Hope you're nowhere near those terrible floods in Maryland too. Take care! 🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet. Regarding my garden it was the just sort of add this or that here & there over the years method. Ken built the fence--twice now. And the wooden arbor, etc. He dug up all the grass when the voles kept destroying the lawn. That's why we put in the pea gravel. Then I thought it was too much gravel, so I added the gardens and walkways as the ideas came to me. We haven't been affected personally by the flooding, but downtown Ellicott City is pretty much wiped out for the 2nd time in two years and lots of basements flooded in some areas. We had a great time in England. Will post in a few weeks about it.

      Delete
  6. You truly live in paradise! I know I've enjoyed your beautiful, restful garden many times! Looking forward to seeing your photos from England!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.