Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Out and About - November 2014


The month began with the preparations for my Tasha Tudor gathering.  You can read about it here.  

I practiced my drawing again, this time using a grid as suggested in a book I'm using. By placing the grid over the picture I wanted to draw I could then just draw what I saw in each little square.  I used it to help me draw a Westie.  I was pleased with the results because I feel I captured Gabriel's "look". . . .
We've seen Olivia June every week this month.  She has started eating solid food. . . . 
At the beginning of the month to get where she wants to go, she rolled,. . . .
By the end of the month, if she rolls just right, she ends up on an arm and then pushes herself up to a sitting position.  She also can pull herself along the floor as she reaches for her toys. . . .
I dressed her up in the costumes I found for her at yard sales--a pumpkin and a monkey.   Gabriel was really interested in the monkey costume.  Olivia June didn't care much for the pumpkin hat. . . . 
It snowed here the day before Thanksgiving. . . .
Olivia June and her parents spent Thanksgiving with her other grandparents, but our other two sons and daughter-in-law shared our Thanksgiving dinner:  homemade carrot-ginger soup, mashed sweet potatoes, sausage-sage stuffing, Shaker corn pudding, butterflied turkey, gravy, green beans with bacon, cranberry sauce, and ambrosia. . . .and delicious rolls Ken baked, that I forgot to photograph. . . .

Later we went over to the other grandparents' to have the pumpkin and apple pies I baked. . . . 
We celebrated my birthday the next day before everyone had to leave.   Ken made Beef Bourguignon and a white cake with lemon butter cream frosting.   At my age it's safer to use just one big candle. . . .


Thank you again to everyone who wished me a happy birthday and sent me an e-mail address so I could send you a "wee present" to help me celebrate it.  It was, indeed, a Perfect Day!   You can hear the song sung by Miriam Stockley at the end of this video starting at 22:54, but if you are a Beatrix Potter fan you might also want to watch the beginning live action scenes before the animated story begins. . . .

                                   

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!

8 comments:

  1. Looks to be a perfect day indeed. How wonderful Olivia June is growing and learning. Congratulations to you and your family on another child joining your family! We didn't get any of the snow you received, but a lot of rain. Our grandson took the train to his parents for Thankgiving. They received eight inches of snow. The rest of our family gathered at my nephew's home for Thanksgiving. My sister always had Thankgiving in her home and then we have them at our home for Christmas. I'm so proud of her son for continuing his Mother's tradition. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Martha, Thank you for your lovely card! I was really touched. I'm so glad that you get to spend time with your sister's son and his family during the holidays. I'm sure she was there with you all in spirit.

      Delete
  2. Well I am truly sorry to have missed your birthday, but I have missed a lot of late. So, "Happy Belated" and may I say that whatever your age, you look very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeri! Low-lighting certainly helps!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday [again] Cathy! Loved hearing about your Thanksgiving and birthday celebrations. That is one yummy Thanksgiving menu you had [I'm a sucker for sausage stuffing]. In the last few years we've been including soup as a first-course for our meal too. This year my sister who hosted made baked potato soup with bacon. Delicious and really hit the spot since it was a raw, chilly day here. Rochester was very very VERY lucky and completely missed getting the 7 feet of snow that descended upon Buffalo [or however much they got]. It's amazing that so much could fall so close to us and we got next to nothing, truly just a dusting. One of my brothers, a welder with the power company in our area, was sent to Buffalo as part of a snow-removal helping crew and he told us some amazing snow stories at Thanksgiving. The first few days they spent trying to get to people with medical emergencies and then to get streets and parking lots cleared so once people got their driveways open they could get out for supplies. We are still thanking God and our lucky stars that we missed it all. Now, oh that kid! Olivia is rapidly becoming one of my favorite faces to see [I actually thought "yay Olivia pictures" as I scrolled down through your post]. Not to mention America's Cutest Kid. She has such a bright, alert face and always seems to be so interested and curious, which you know is a very good thing. Especially loved those "rolling over" pics with the cute striped clothing. But all her pix really. Gabriel is her little buddy, isn't he? So cute, and the monkey and pumpkin costumes you found are adorable. My Mom got a similar pumpkin costume for her first grandchild too, but yours with the striped pants is even cuter - those pants just MAKE it! Well, gotta get going for now but take care and talk to you soon. :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your birthday wishes (again)! ☺ The baked potato with bacon soup sounds good for any day! I love soup and bread. Could just eat that every day. I'm glad the monster snow storm missed you. Yes, Olivia June is our little sweetheart, indeed. We had more sad news yesterday when we found out her Daddy's dog, Chester, (that he's had for 11 years) had to be put down. Chester had been deteriorating for a while now. He was about 13. Gabriel will have to be her buddy for sure now since Chester is no longer there. We take Gabriel when we go babysit since we are away too long to leave him home.

      Delete
  4. Oh, so sorry to hear about Chester. It's as hard to lose a pet as it is to lose a human family member. One of my brothers had to do the same thing in September to his Claudia-kitty. He was heartbroken as they'd been pals for 18 years and been through a lot. I'm hoping he'll be up for a new friend soon, but will need some time for sure. Sending a virtual shoulder pat to your son and family. :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to have two cats put down. It IS very difficult to let them go even when you know it's for the best. I don't look forward to when Poetry's or Gabriel's time comes. I try not to think about it. I try to just enjoy them right now to the fullest. Sorry to hear about your brother's loss. Thank you for the virtual shoulder pat!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.