Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Monday, June 30, 2014

Out and About - June


June has just whizzed by for me.  It began with sleeping bunnies in the garden....


And a sleeping baby smiling in her dreams....

On the 8th we went on the Annapolis Garden Tour.  I will be showing you more pictures from this outing soon....

Gabriel was the one to find the bunny burrow.  I saw him cautiously approach the flower bed and immediately thought he'd found a snake.  Ken came running because of the screams (mine), but by then Gabriel had pulled his nose out of the flowers and I saw that it was covered in rabbit fur!  The bunnies were unharmed.  Momma rabbits will line the nest with their fur and then cover up the bunnies with leaves in an attempt to hide them from predators.  The hole is just big enough for the bunnies, so she stands over it and they reach up to nurse 3 times a day--before dawn and twice after dark--for four weeks! Needless to say, I had to keep Gabriel out of the front yard.  Here the bunnies are stirring because they think their momma has come....
                

We left on Our Artist Vacation on the 10th.  The highlight of the vacation was the Tasha Tudor House & Garden Tour and the Friends of Gladys Taber Reunion with Susan Branch as the guest speaker....

My roses finally started to bloom....

Olivia June went on her first vacation to the beach with her parents.  This is the swimsuit I bought for her when she was born.  Her momma bought her the hat to go with it....

Because they were away we went for a drive in the countryside that Sunday afternoon.  Maryland still has lovely stone walls here and there....

I took down my Spring decor and put up Summer....

I've been having my breakfast each morning outside at my little Bistro yable.  This Tasha Tudor Hollyhock, just over the Arbor fence, is getting ready to bloom....

I went yardsaling and found lots of baby clothes and toys.  We babysat Olivia June last Sunday afternoon and brought the play seat I found for $2.00!  She seemed more interested in looking at us, though.  Ken says all she sees when she looks at me is a camera in front of my face....
                   

I told you in the last post that I would finish the saga about my minivan.  It got us safely home, but Ken was concerned that we might not be so fortunate the next time and convinced me to sell it while we could still get something for it.  So we went new car shopping.  The biggest struggle was trying to decide whether to get another minivan or downsize.  That meant the only other option was a SUV, which I really didn't want.  We finally found what is called a crossover utility vehicle--it has the higher profile like a minivan and SUV so the seats are more comfortable, but it isn't as large.  It seats 5 and the back seat folds down into the floor to double the cargo space.  It was a compromise, but we're happy with it.  Being a new car we now have a navigation system.  Ken named her Shirley.  We also have all-wheel drive which will come in handy, if we keep having winters like we did last year.  It also has a back-up camera.  All these features will certainly come in handy when I go to yard sales looking for baby clothes and toys.

Now, what you've all been waiting for!  The announce- ment of who won the books.  I put everyone's name in the pot (twice for those who commented on both Day 4 & 5) and drew first for the Susan Branch book.  I got Martha Ellen's name, but she says she already has this book, so I put her name back in and drew.......Drum roll please....
             
                       

Susan Branch's "The Summer Book" goes to....Chris W !!!!!

Then I drew again....


Tasha Tudor's "A Tale for Easter" goes to....Janet !!!!!

But wait!  I have two "A Tale for Easter" books in my stash so I'm going to draw a 3rd name and guess whose name I drew?   Honestly, this was not rigged.....Martha Ellen !!!!!

Ladies, please send me your addresses and I'll hop to it and get these books sent off immediately.  You can leave a comment that I won't moderate, or you can find my e-mail address on my Profile.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read my very long posts and for leaving a comment.  You've all helped to make my vacation a fun one despite the car trouble!

11 comments:

  1. Good morning, and congratulations to your winners - fun mail on the way! Babies, silky smooth or furry, are so precious. Your little bathing beauty is already striking poses! I should have thought of yard sales when my first grandchild was born; I purchased a musical swing that was used only a couple or three visits before it was outgrown. I love rock walls; we had one along the front of our house in Massachusetts that was especially lovely with wisteria blooms dangling from it. We've never had a minivan, but I really enjoyed my Honda CR-V, which also had the fold-down seat for cargo space as well as a folding table stowed beneath the carpeting. We gave it up when we down-sized and relocated to Alabama; it’s been a challenge adjusting to only one vehicle, but easier on the budget. Looking forward to your Annapolis Garden Tour...

    Hugs from Alabama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning to you, too, Sharon. New England has even more old rock walls. Ken's vehicle is a 2-seater sports car that he bought used when he retired and sold his SUV that he used for work. Once we get too old to get in and out of it, we'll be a one-car family, too.

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised Gabriel didn't do away with those bunnies before you realized what they were. Fergus hates rabbits. We have them where we live and he goes crazy if one is in the yard. The picture of Olivia sleeping is so beautiful. I think you will like your cross over vehicle. We had vans for years, but I didn't need one any more after the kids were all grown. I now have a Hyundai Tucson and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The night before both Poetry and Gabriel were on the screened-in front porch acting as though there was something very interesting in the front yard. I think that must have been when the momma rabbit was putting her bunnies in their hidey-hole. When I let Gabriel out in the morning I was still there when he went straightaway to the spot. I was out the door immediately to pick him up, thinking I was saving him from a copperhead snake, so he never had the chance to do more than stick his nose in the hole. I wish I knew what Olivia June was dreaming about! So young and yet she has something nice to dream about. I love the Charles Dickens quote: "I love these little people; and it is not a slight thing when they, who are so fresh from God, love us."

      Delete
  3. Are you kidding me, Cathy? I'm so excited to win your giveaway. To have you draw my name twice is quite lucky--thank you. I'll send you my address asap. You have had quite an intersesting June. Life is filled with ups and downs, but you certainly have much to be thankful for. Your little Olivia is just adorable and I too love the picture of her sleeping. What a great deal you found at a yard sale. I have very little patience for attending yard sales. I think it's because I'm unable to find any bargains. Oh well, I do enjoy going to consignment shops for the grandchildren. We have a great one--Once Upon A Child--great bargains and almost new clothing. Enjoy your day and hopefully stay cool. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You should have bought a lottery ticket instead! As soon as I hear from Janet I'll head for the post office. Hopefully, by tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. YOU ARE KIDDING? I really won? This is the first time in my life that I ever won a drawing! I have several of Susan's cookbooks, but I do not have Summer. I am excited! And to top it all off, I had a wonderful armchair vacation! So thank you very much, I am truly delighted.
    I hope you like your new vehicle. Our Subaru has AWD and I don't know what we would do without it and I would certainly want it if I lived back east. I bet you will love you new car and now Shirley can tell your husband he made a wrong turn and you won't have to. :)
    I will send you an email with my address.
    Thanks again for the Susan Branch book, and I am so glad Martha Ellen won too or I would have felt guilty.

    Chris W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! First time? I feel privileged to be the one who instigated it! You should never feel guilty about winning. It was meant to be, obviously. Once I hear from Janet I'll package everything up and get the books in the mail, hopefully by tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Love those tiny bunny babies! Too cute! And your own tiny bunny baby, Olivia, who looks like a juvenile Betty Boop in that adorable swimsuit. I predict she's going to be a fine pianist - just look at those long elegant fingers of hers. I bet she talks early too. Not just because she's a firstborn, and a Girl. But listen to how engaged she was in her new playseat with the music and the little lights and buzzers and things going off. She was definitely trying to tell you & Grandpa something! I think it was "I'm lovin' my new playseat, Gramma!" You're smart to do garage sales for baby things. My mom [a very experienced mother of 6, and a child of the Depression to boot] did the same with her grandkids. She found lots of really nice [sometimes brand new] outfits, toys and books at yard sales. She even found a baby swing that could be attached to the limb of a real tree and boy, did the kiddos love that! One thing she was always looking for and never found was a toy piano. I guess they stopped making them in the 60s and replaced them with mini-keyboard thingies. Everything has to be electrified. Oh well. And how exciting am I to win the Tasha book! I already have all of Susan's books so I was going to give "The Summer Book" to my sister Patty if I'd won that, but now I get to keep the Tasha book. Huzzah! Can't wait to see it. And how very generous of you to even do a giveaway - thanks so much Cathy. I'm thrilled. PS - I cracked up when I read that Ken named your GPS "Shirley" - that's hilarious. I have OnStar in my car but talk to a real person/OnStar advisor if I need directions. I betting that you guys will have much more fun "messing with" Shirley." Have a wonderful day Cathy and thanks again SO much. PS - more Olivia videos - she's a photogenic dolly girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're excited to win the Tasha Tudor book! I will run it over to the P.O. as soon as you send me your address! I had a little pipe-organ-looking piano from my childhood that my children played with, but it finally bit the dust and is gone. I haven't seen any in yard sales either. I'm sure you'll be seeing more videos of Olivia June!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.