Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Saturday, May 13, 2023

A Walk Through My Woods and Gardens

Won't you join me for a walk through my woods and garden today.  There was break in the rain in the beginning, but soon a soft rain accompanied me on my walk. . .  

The Enchanted Woods beckons us to enter...

But first we must ring the Faerie bell...


Being careful not to wake the sleeping gnome there just under the cleft in the rock...

What an exciting find!  The English Bluebells have bloomed for the first time since I planted them in 2014.  I think the deer have eaten them in the past before I saw them...

It is a sleepy morning for the gnomes.  Another found sleeping under a rock...

The woodland Phlox have started to bloom...


The path takes a turn past the ancient boulder and old fence post which once held up the barbed wire when this was a farmer's field...


The no-name bush with white flowers that are proliferate in our woods...

I spy the little bridge to the Faerie Tree...



Then out of the woods as I pass by the bird house to visit my Secret Garden...

Hidden behind the Arbor Garden....

Another Faerie door...

As I turn to leave I remember the raccoon whom I found hiding here one Easter as I was hiding eggs for my little granddaughter...

Down the walkway I pass the blue spikes of the Aguja amongst the ferns...

I walk past the bird house, still awaiting a tenant.  (This is the view from my desk window)...

My first two cats are buried here, Calico and Poetry...

That's a Wild Turkey's feather I found in the woods...

The path leads to my St. Francis Garden. This is where I place the little white stones I find in the woods.  One day in March my 4-year-old granddaughter found a white stone while we were walking in the woods and ran off with it.  I chased after her to see where she was going.  I found her placing it here...

Gabriel and Poetry Too are buried in this garden together...


Now I walk up the steps to my front Garden...

The little bit of Snow-in-Summer I have left is in bloom...

The Azalea is still in bloom...

The Peonies are about to...

The wild Ox-Eye Daisies have come up once again in the gravel and starting to bloom...

The Lily of the Valley my father-in-law planted 30 years ago have spread and are almost done with their fragrant blossoms...

The pink rose bush is full of blossoms...

The wild Kenilworth Ivy continues to spread its delicate flowers about my garden...

A few Evening Primroses have opened...

The ferns I transplanted to the Lavender bed have made themselves at home around the bird bath...

I move on to the Arbor Garden passing by the Clematis climbing the rose arbor...


Inside the Columbine are taller than ever this year...



The Montana Ruebens Clematis is starting to climb up and over the Arbor. and the Spiderwort are sharing their pretty blue-purple flowers..



Tucked back in the corner I've added a pretty little Blue Star Creeper to the miniature garden.  Soon it will spread and become a wildflower garden for the little cottage...

One lone Bleeding Heart blossom holding its own...

Another Columbine trying to peer over the fence...

As I leave the Arbor Garden I notice the purple Iris peeking out through the Climbing Hydrangea which has taken over their spot in the garden.  I remind myself I really must move them...

On the other side of the Arbor entrance is a climbing rose still hanging in there even though it struggles every year to climb...

I return to the Front Garden.  The climbing rose on this arbor trellis was so unruly we cut it way back earlier this Spring.  It will come back stronger than ever if I can get the aphids under control...

As I near the porch the Lambs Ear is standing tall and will blossom soon...

The Lavender is filled with buds...

The scent of the Lily of the Valley which has found its way near the porch step is sharing its sweet fragrance...

A place to sit and rest after working in my gardens...


A dear friend who passed in 2004 gave me this...



💗 Thank you for joining me!  💗








7 comments:

  1. Thank you, Cathy! I do miss your garden, but this was a lovely reminder of how beautiful and peaceful it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you back blogging again. Your garden looks lovely. So calming and fresh. Thank you for sharing it with us.
      Do check your bluebells though. I'm not sure you've got English bluebells there, they look like Spanish ones to me. The shape is too open. English bluebells are elongated with a pronounced curly tip. And the colour to the trained eye is quite different too. Despite that, bluebells are always so very pretty. They make a lovely addition to the spring garden.

      Delete
    2. Hi Debra! I bought them on-line from Brecks. I just looked at their website. They do look a lot like the Spanish Bluebells that they also sell. I found this article about the difference: https://dengarden.com/gardening/The-Difference-Between-Spanish-and-English-Bluebells Mine are definitely not wild English Bluebells. I'm wondering if mine are a cross between Spanish and English that the article speaks about.

      I don't know that I've started blogging again. I've gotten off track ever since I tried to illustrate Gabriel's Tale and gave up on it because I was unable to do it the way I'd visualized it in my mind. That seemed to shut down my whole creative self. And once COVID hit and we no longer traveled there was nothing for me to blog about. It didn't help that Blogger has shut down our ability to notify subscribers or sign-up new subscribers. And the ones I had seemed to fade away because I hardly got any comments. I have stopped reading and commenting on blogs so I have no right to complain! So I really appreciate that you took the time to comment. I've really missed the conversations I used to have with my commenters like you. ❤️

      Delete
  2. Oh Cathy what a great walk. Your enchanted garden is just wonderful. I am so glad you took me along. Certainly enjoyed the beauty. Have a blessed week friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by! Blessings and hugs to you, too. ❤️

      Delete
  3. Dear Cathy, This was such a lovely way to start my day. I've always loved woodland gardens. My friend, Beth introduced me to the one she cultivated. When she was getting ready to move to North Carolina, she invited me to take cuttings and starts. I enjoyed planting them in what was then becoming a very shady area.
    I long thought about creating a little fairy garden and enjoyed a few spring efforts over the years.
    This was so delightful. Wandering with you to all the little special nooks was such a treat. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Elaine! I'm so glad you enjoyed our walk through the Enchanted Woods. This means so much to me because I don't know how much longer I will be able to keep it up. ❤️

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.