Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Sunday, January 26, 2020

The Artist's Way






Over the course of several weeks some years ago a friend and I read Julia Cameron's book, The Artist’s Way, and did the exercises together.  In doing so, a well of creativity opened up inside me and all sorts of things I did not know existed came forth.  I wrote several stories for children, and even though I am not an artist I watercolor-painted several of the characters.  Then my friend moved away, and I was never able to replace her role in my life—that of a fellow seeker endeavoring to draw from our wells of creativity.  I soon discovered that it could be a lonely life being an artist.  People who are not willing to open themselves up to the "empty spot" where their creativity resides are threatened by yours it seems. 

I think this is true also of spiritual growth.  People who are used to having faith in the power of the material world become uneasy when you begin to talk of faith in the power of God--the unseen world.  That is why scripture speaks of not neglecting to come together to encourage one another.  Community, whether it's an artist's community or a spiritual community, provides a safe place in which to grow our creative spirits.  

Now, many years later I am still going it alone in my pursuit of creative endeavors, but I am not lonely.   The age of the Internet and Blogs has opened up a whole new world for me.  I find myself drawing on other people’s endeavors as inspiration.  Having an immediate audience encourages me to share what comes forth from my well of creativity.   It brings me immense satisfaction to look back over my Blogs and see how the music, words, and photographs all came together to tell the story in my heart.

God needs more artists in this world--those who reach into their souls and share what they find there for the benefit of not only themselves but also others.  With all that mankind has achieved, it's obvious, having been made in God's image (Genesis 1:26), we are co-creators with Him.  God knows our potential since He created it.  We just need to be open and available to letting it be drawn out and shared in some way—whether it be through words, music, dance, the visual arts, and the myriad of other art forms such as gardening, design, new inventions and discoveries, and even the art of making a loving home for your family—all these things come through us from God for our collective benefit.   Let’s live up to our potential!  You’re an artist waiting to be discovered, if only by you.

© 2013 Cathy Gilleylen Schultz

6 comments:

  1. Well said, Cathy. After the trials of the last quarter of 2019, I'm ready to give creativity it's rightful place in my life. I'm decluttering and resetting my craft space just now. Thank you for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear this, Elaine. I'm my most happiest when I'm creating. ❤️

      Delete
  2. Julia Cameron's books are the best. What you have said is so true. Let us go forth and rediscover our creativity within.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We definitely DO need more artists in the world, Cathy. You are SO right about that. Now more than ever, in my opinion. But I'll never understand why you don't consider yourself one. You work at it all the time - and you enjoy doing it, right? You ARE an artist, just maybe not yet the kind you want to be - but that's not important. Just creating makes a person an artist in my book. I can't draw well at all, and truth be told never really wanted to - but I enjoy doing crafts, art projects of different kinds, even these days - adult coloring! There are endless opportunities to express oneself through color - and it's easy and relaxing. I love it. So I guess in my book, I'm an artist. No Picasso to be sure. But then I don't want to be Picasso. I just enjoy the process & the final result. Most of the time, at least. My mother used to enjoy the creativity of cooking - she just loved baking - and creating new soups too. She used to say all the time how much she loved being in the kitchen - that was her creative outlet. For you, I think gardening is very creative. The colors and textures you achieve in your planting every year - that's art my friend. Truly. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! ❤️πŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess because I only dapple at it . I guess I hold the title Artist in such high esteem that to be "part-time" and not serious enough about it would take away from the legitimacy of true artists.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.