Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Crossroads

"There are years that ask questions and years that answer."  

©Mary Engelbreit


Last year for the first time I chose a Word for the Year:  BALANCE

This year my word will be:

CROSSROADS

Those of you who also read my Another Perfect Day blog already knew the life and death crisis my family went through the end of 2018.  Ben, my youngest, is doing wonderfully a year out now from his heart transplant, but he will have lifelong health challenges because the anti-rejection meds he has to take for the rest of his life suppress his immune system.  For Ben, BALANCE has taken on a special meaning--the doctors have to find the right balance of medication to keep his body from rejecting his new heart vs. leaving enough of his immune system intact to fight off disease.  For me BALANCE took on the meaning of keeping an even keel after all that happened the rest of the year.  My Westie, Gabriel, had been dealing with a limp since July of 2018 that the Vet thought was arthritis, but by May of 2019 it was evident that it was due to cancer.  I had to let him go in June.  We also lost a dear friend and father-in-law to my oldest son to pancreatic cancer in April.  I found myself crying out "this is TOO much!"  Just when things seemed to be smoothing out the opportunity to buy the log cabin adjacent to our property presented itself at the end of October.  We would have to sell this house that we've lived in for almost 39 years, but we saw it as a chance to downsize to a place I've loved since I saw the inside of it 20 years ago.  We spent a month decluttering and imagining ourselves living in a smaller space and how we'd make it work.  But then we were sorely disappointed when it all fell through by Thanksgiving.  So I got an 8-week-old puppy instead on December 2nd.  Big Mistake!  Or so it seems, but "Gabriel, Too" is teaching me much about patience and perseverance, and dependence on God, as I deal with his itching (we don't know what's causing it yet), and his behavior (he has issues that may be life long if he doesn't get the proper training and I have bite marks to show for it), besides the normal puppy-related issues, like house training!

As we go into this new year, which by the end of the year puts me in the same decade as my husband (70s), we are assessing the rest of our relatively short life left.  For now we are "downsizing in place" so that our sons won't have too much clutter to deal with when our time to depart this life comes.  But also, we are looking at what we want to do with our remaining time.  We still have very young grandchildren nearby so we don't want to leave the immediate area.

Then there is this new puppy.  Will his "issues" ever be corrected, will I be able to handle his problems, or will I have to give him up to an owner better equipped to care for him?

These and other questions I've been formulating all last year will hopefully find answers soon.  Will it be this year?  We shall see.

Before I go,  I wanted to let you know I've started posting daily on Another Perfect Day 365 again.  I'm "doing" Judith Orloff's book "Thriving as an Empath:  365 Days of Self-Care for Sensitive People."  If you have always been told you are "too" sensitive, you will want to take this test on Dr. Elaine Aron's website to see if you are a Highly Sensitive Person (HSPs).  Dr. Elaine Aron has several books on the subject, which can probably be found at your library.  I first came upon it a few years ago and finally felt vindicated for being what others called "too sensitive" as though it was a fault.  Dr. Orloff's book will help us take better care of ourselves so that we can use our gift of sensitivity for good rather than be overwhelmed by it.  I hope you will join me by going HERE and signing up to be notified each day when the post is available.  This is a crossroads for me as well because being highly sensitive and getting burned out can cause one to withdraw from society.  I'm at the crossroads of which way do I want to go?  Take care of myself and be of help to others or withdraw?

I have also posted on my monthly Another Perfect Day blog on this subject of Crossroads.  You can read it HERE.

Do you have a Word for the Year?  Please tell us why you chose it.

6 comments:

  1. I love your dieas shared here, as always, Cathy. You inspire me all the time , and you know that, but right now there is so much in our lifetime to deal with in teh flesh of the world, and this leads us all to want to learn more about GOD. and we are doing that by choice or by situation of not being obedient to GOD.. but being willful in our choices and then backing up for a second look. I will surely look at Orloff's website.. I go to EMPATHS and OLD SOULS on facebook and find total friends there in SOUL. I have a few words for m year and two oare EXPONENTIAL expansion .. like the fice loaves and two fish .. expansive thinking of limitless possiblities which I ahve been gibven recently..and then FLOWING IN LIGHT.. going to God with each thought to see if it is Him or me ...... Thank you for this wonderful post . Blessinsg as always and love Merri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words for the year are wonderful, Merri. They really fit who you are and how God will mightily use you this year.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry to hear about your puppy issues. I hope you can find a trainer that would fix the problem. I would hate to see your sadness, yet again, with #2. I read your Perfect Day & commented on it as well as sighing up to get comments. Happy 2020 to you & the family. Love, Sis xoxo

      Delete
    3. Sandy, I am reading books and watching videos so hopefully I can learn to give him the structure he needs. Happy 2020 to you and your family as well! ❤️

      Delete
  2. Cathy, you and your family have certainly been through very tough times. I'm sure your faith has sustained you. I've never chosen a word for the year. Wishing you God's guidance as you meet the crossroads of the future.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.