Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Saturday, January 19, 2019

Letters From Me

I've just finished reading Lilian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who series--all 29 books!  Have you read them?  They are "cozy mysteries" in which a Siamese Cat named Koko helps solves murders.  After a few books James Qwilleran, Koko's owner, settles in the fictional town of Pickax City, population 3,000, "400 miles north of everywhere."  It is widely believed Braun's setting was somewhere in Michigan where she lived for a number of years.  One of the reasons I loved the series so much is that Qwill, as he was nicknamed, lived within walking distance of downtown and made his daily rounds visiting eateries, shops, and visits with the storekeepers, etc.  This reminded me of my three years in Valparaiso, Indiana (1964-67) when I was a teenager.  This is a postcard off the Internet of downtown Valpo, as we called the town, in the 1960s. . . .
Lincolnway, Valparaiso, Indiana

Our house was on this main street--Lincolnway--just a few blocks down.  A few blocks the other way in this photo was where I worked after school at the soda fountain in a drugstore for 80 cents an hour.  It didn't last long because I started dating my husband-to-be and had no time to work!  The movie theater was on this street where I saw A Hard Day's Night at least six times, if my memory serves me correctly.  There was a little diner I'd hang out in after school with friends who had their own rock 'n roll band.  They'd play in the basement of the hotel a couple blocks from my house on the weekends. The dress shop where I spent all my soda fountain earnings was also on this street.....I could go on and on--the courthouse where I got my driver's license, post office, library.

Braun wrote so vividly that I had to stop myself from Googling Pickax City to find out more about the town.  I feel I know all her characters personally and will miss them and always wonder what they are up to now.  In her last book, The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers, Qwill tells a friend that he's been thinking about the pleasure he gets from writing a private journal.  He says, "It's not like a diary, where you record daily events, but a place for thoughts and ideas, no matter how personal or crazy.  No matter how amateurish...."  Thinking about it later, "Qwill was reminded of his 'lean and hungry years as a young man in New York':  He wrote [in his journal]:

My furnished room had an old wind-up Victrola and a single 78 record:  Johnny Mercer singing "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter."  I played it every night because I couldn't afford to buy another one.  Now three decades later it runs through my mind every night when I sit down to write to myself in my journal."

I couldn't find Johnny Mercer singing it, but I did find this. . . .

                      

Because I moved so much growing up I began writing letters early on to the best friend I'd always have to leave behind.  Then when the guy I was to eventually marry was drafted I wrote him every day, mailing them every few days for a year and a half.  After we married I wrote weekly letters to my mother and occasionally to my mother-in-law.  Those were the days when a stamp was cheaper than a phone call.  I've saved all those letters. When my dad passed away suddenly in 1978, I dug through the box of letters in my attic and found the four he'd handwritten to me during the decade since I'd left home.  They are precious to me.  Today with rising cost of postage and the immediacy of email, handwriting a letter is a thing of the past, unless you belong to the Handwritten Letter Appreciation Society.  They promote the art of handwritten letters.

Qwill's comment about writing to himself in his journal, however, has given me an idea. Too often my journal entries would be more like diary entries by Qwill's definition.  So this morning in order to get myself in the right frame of mind I actually started with Dear Cathy.  I was surprised how my style of writing changed, how paragraphs began forming, how organized my thoughts became.  All those years of letter writing were being put to use.  Later, I sat down and wrote myself back!  I expressed concern about something I'd written in the earlier entry that was troubling me--just like I would if a friend had written me about something troubling her.  It was exactly what I needed at that moment.  I realized the only way to deal with the stress caused by what was troubling me was to clean something.  I don't know about you, but when I'm under a great deal of stress I find cleaning or gardening or doing anything that requires physical activity helps me a great deal--otherwise, I do what I call stress eating which is not at all productive, unless you count producing more weight around my middle section.  I also realized that I was accessing both sides of my personality at the same time--the part that is insecure and fearful and the part that is confident and trusting.  It was as though I was acknowledging my weakness in that moment and then choosing to let my confident/trusting self take over.  I actually listened to myself and took my advice.  :-)

So as the song says, I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter that I would want to receive from a best friend.

What about you?  Was there a time in your life that you wrote actual handwritten letters to someone?  Have you read The Cat Who mystery series by Lilian Jackson Braun?  Did or do you live in an area where you can walk to everything you need?  I love to hear your thoughts on any of these topics.  Why don't you write me a letter (in the comments)!

Check out my post on journaling 
Check out Debra Eve's Later Bloomer post on Lilian Jackson Braun.
Check out Susan Branch's posts on the Art of Handwriting and Letter Writing 101

11 comments:

  1. OH what a fun project writing letters. I lived in Garrett,Indiana around the same time. and mom ed to write me every day from my home in Minnesota. I loved getting those letters , as I was very homesick. Also, funny, lately , I have been singing that song to myself.. which was my favorite for a long time..and mom's too. Thank you for suggesting this idea ....... I am going to write my grandson this day .. who is in the Air Force in Germany....... it does not take that long to make someone happy ....... and I loved Valpo too ...Jim, my husband , took me there at times to just walk around.. it was so comforting..... loved Indiana and especially those days. ps gonna find that recording of the song now too... and write and play it as I do. Such fun and a healing project for me this day. Love, Merri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know if we ever passed each other on the street in Valpo!

      Delete
  2. The Cat Who mystery series sounds good, Cathy. I used to write myself letters in the form of my diary when I was a young teen up until the time I married my husband at the age of 18! These letters are precious to me as I can see my hopes and dreams formed at a very young age. Even though I don't recommend getting married so young, I feel quite fortunate to have recognized the qualities of a man that would make a good husband.
    I personally write letters (online) to several friends. It's a great way to stay in touch and share my life with those most important to me. One thing that does make me sad is my handwriting does not enable me to write out a long letter. There is something really special to receive a hand written letter. I've thought I should practice more, but that seems to always take a back burner.
    It's interesting you listening to Johnny Mercer's record. I remember it as well. My sisters and I shared a bedroom and we played a lot of Johnny Mathis. We had The Sound of Music album and South Pacific. When I hear these tunes I'm right back in my old bedroom upstairs singing every word with my sisters. Thanks for bringing back those memories and sharing your's! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never loved my handwriting. I print better than I write long hand but that takes longer. Now if I do write a long letter to go via snail mail I prefer to type it--much faster! I couldn't find the Johnny Mercer version of the song, so I've not heard it by him. By the time I started listening to music it was Elvis Presley and Purple People Eater!

      Delete
  3. Funny, I just received a letter from my long time best friend’s sister! And I thought at the time, wow I never get a letter any more! It really was nice to receive. The longest letter writing was with my childhood friend when she graduated high school and joined VISTA and moved to NYC. She was one year older than I and we wrote letters forever. Now we email and visit when we can. We have been friends for 61 years! She honestly is more like family than friend and since both her parents are gone she is very close to my mother. It would really be fun to still have those letters, but they are long gone.
    I promise myself to journal more, but it never happens! And now that song will be stuck in my head all day...the Johnny Mercer version, since that is the one I remember, too!
    Chris Wells. West TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Chris--sorry about the song stuck in your head! I love hearing stories like yours--how you've kept in contact with a childhood friend. While looking to see if I had a good photo of Valparaiso I came across the photo album I started when I was 15 with photos I'd taken when I was 13 at my grandparents' farm in Mississippi. So since 1963 I've been chronicling my life in one form or another and saved it all! I told my husband the only way to deal with all that I've saved is to set up a trust fund to maintain our house as a museum after we're gone!

      Delete
  4. I love to write either a letter or postcard each week to my Grandchildren. They each have a photo album to which they store them and look at the views of the Island. We also use SKYPE and the internet to keep in touch but there is nothing like a hand written note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a wonderful idea! Your grandchildren will treasure their album of letters from you for years to come. ❤️

      Delete
  5. Dear Cathy I love your idea of writing yourself a letter and then answering back. Like you when I am concerned or stressed I clean or garden too. Seems like it always helps me think better. I have never read this series but since I am a cat lover...know I would enjoy them. Thanks for sharing such a lovely idea. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have kept the kind of journals you speak of, but I never thought of it as addressing myself and answering myself. I'm thinking about that. Of course we used to say "Dear Diary." I am a letter writer. I much prefer writing to speaking. My letter writing history is similar to yours--weekly letter to and from my parents from the first week I went off to college. Now that I'm retired I hope I can find time to read the many old letters in our house. We have a big box of letters and cards exchanged between my husband and myself. I have several shoe boxes full of family letters. Including a large one from my grandparents--their one-a -week letters to my parents. So interesting to pull some out at read. I even have a friend who sits in front of me in church and we often email each other a letter during the week. Now my sister and I text more than email--faster and probably less effective as you write so quickly and without much thought to it, but I like the feeling we are going through out our days together. This is long, but letter writing is a topic I'm passionate about. One of my favorite scenes in--I think P and P-- was when they were eagerly reading over a missive that came in the morning mail and dissecting the penmanship, thinking it gave them clues to the mood of the writer! Loved this post of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the days I'd look for the mailman to come so I could see if I got mail. Now it's only ads and bills! Texting is very handy. I do it with my sons when I need to talk to them. With cell phones now you never know if you're interrupting them while they're out. With texting I can at least see if they got my message and know they'll get back to me when they can.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.