Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Out and About - February 2015


February is a short month, but I think it's been the longest month on record for me.  It's the month of our youngest's birthday, our anniversary, and Valentine's Day.  I needed to have some dental work done, but that was all that was on our agenda.  The month started off quietly enough as I finished preparations for my Tasha Tudor gathering on the 5th.  We made Sparrow Post boxes and Valentines. . . . .
This is when my short month began turning into the longest month on record.  While down on my hands and knees washing my 20-year-old dingy vinyl kitchen floor for my Tasha Tudor gathering I made the decision then and there to get a new floor....not only in the kitchen but in the dining room as well.  We've talked about redoing the dining room for most of the 34 years we've lived here.  It is cork tiles and is 63 years old.  This is what it looks like...discolored and riddled with holes. . . .

This meant we had to go shopping, decide what we wanted, and then wait for the floor guy to come out and measure so they could give us a bid.  This is the sample of the floor--antique heart pine (the darker color) we finally picked. . . .

Since the dining room had to be totally emptied I decided it would be a good time to repaint the walls.  This was an energy drain in itself--going to several paint stores, looking through all my decorating books, and trying to "see" what the colors would look like on the walls.  And since I felt a wood floor and the wood counter tops we hope to get would be just too much wood, I decided my kitchen cabinets needed to be painted. This would also cover up the worn areas on these 40-year-old cabinets.

Meanwhile I had my dentist appointment on Thursday, the 12th, to have a temporary crown put on, which decided to fall out on Saturday, of course, when the dentist did not have office hours.  The next day, the 15th, we celebrated our 46th wedding anniversary by going to Leesburg, VA because it was on the way to the airport where we'd be picking up our son later in the evening.  He and several friends were returning from a week in Iceland, where it had been warmer than the 18 degrees here that day!  We browsed the antique shops looking for bargain-priced red transferware dishes (no luck) and had dinner at Lightfoot Restaurant where we were greeted by a mannequin.  Our waiter was much more attentive.  Our table was graced with tulips....a nice reminder that Spring will eventually come.....and our meal was good. . . .

The next morning we woke up to no water.  Ken turned on a heater in the basement hoping to warm up the pipes while I went to the dentist to have my temporary crown re-cemented in.  Then I was off again before noon with my neighbor to join the dulcimer group she and her husband play with.   I had practiced beforehand with Edie so I was able to keep up for the most part.  It was a very enjoyable afternoon. . . .

I got a call from Ken late in the afternoon that he might not be there when I got home.  He had to go buy a new pump for the well.  It wasn't frozen pipes.  He'd spent several hours down in our pit well working on it and then all the next day putting in a new pump.  We finally had water Wednesday morning. . . .

Meanwhile we'd gotten more snow (hence the blue tarp over the opening to the pit) so I let Gabriel out to do his run through the woods. . . .

Back inside I settled down to spend a very relaxing afternoon drawing and painting. . . .

In anticipation of having to move dishes out of my sideboard in order to move it I packed up my service for 12 "Bonnie Brae" Pfaltzgraff dishes because I'm planning to put it up for sale on Craigslist. . . .or it may just go in the attic and wait to be rediscovered in a few years when it will once again feel like new to me. . . .

That next weekend we belatedly celebrated our youngest son's birthday, but because we got another 10 inches of snow that Saturday we had to postpone our family gathering to the next day.   I made him a strawberry cheesecake. . . . 

While the guys were all there they helped move the hutch out of the dining room into the living room along with the table since I was going to start painting the next day.  The side board went into the hallway, and everything else was stashed in a guestroom.  We took the doors off the cabinets in the kitchen.  I have to say, it's really handy not having to open doors to get things out of my cupboards.  And with everything off the counters and no window coverings the kitchen feels much larger.  I will have to clean everything before I put things back in both rooms.  I told Ken this may make me into a minimalist by the time I'm done. . . .

I painted the dining room Monday and Tuesday.  Because the water pressure was so low we had a plumber come out to look at the well.  It sounded like there was also a problem with the jet pump that was down in the water.  He came Wednesday morning early and said yep, that was what the problem was.  He'd come back the next day and replace that because it wasn't something Ken could do.  Then we went off to babysat Olivia June for the day.  Here she is playing in the tunnel I found for her at a yard sale last summer. . . .

Gabriel had to get into the fun, too. . . .


The next day the plumber came while I deglossed my kitchen cabinets.  That's the hose that runs down into the well.  We got more bad news.  The pump Ken installed, even though it was the same specs as the old pump, it was not powerful enough to handle the depth of our well.  So that had to be replaced, but the good news is I finally have some water pressure in my shower. . . .

I was without water most of the day again, so I waited till Friday to paint the cabinets.  I woke up this morning with my body in a no-manual-labor rebellion, so we took today off to drive out into the country to a Mennonite lumber mill to order the wood for our countertops.   Finally, some good news--they'll be ready in 2 to 3 weeks and the charge is only $300.  A wood place in Baltimore wanted $6,000.  I'll have to stain them and put on a protective coating myself, and Ken will install them, but we think we'll be very happy with the end results.  I'm also having them make me a mantle and brackets for the fireplace.  In my eagerness to put the old mantle back up I did not hang the plaster sconce properly I was using as a bracket, and it came crashing down on my foot breaking into a gazillion pieces (the sconce, not my foot, thankfully). Tomorrow I paint the doors to the cabinets and put up fresh wallpaper under the cabinets (I still have some left from the roll when I put it up 20 years ago).  The floor gets installed starting Monday!  Here's a tease of what the dining room and kitchen cabinets will look like. . . .


I have to say, I'm loving all the clean woodwork.  Every knickknack and wall hanging will be dusted.  Even though it's a bit early I'm going to decorate for Spring when I put everything back.  I will have to repaint the hallway since it looks shabby now and I've been wanting to repaint the bathroom (it's been 20 years, too), so I'm not done by any means.  But I have to get it all done this coming month because I know come April I'll be out and about in my garden.

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!

20 comments:

  1. Wow, Cathy, what a month you've had. You have accomplished many tasks for such a short month. There is always something to get in the way of our plans. But that's life. I really like the color of your kitchen cabinets. It would be nice if we painted ours. I love the flooring you are going to have. We have hardwood throughout our home and in the kitchen also---You are going to love it. We added it to our whole upstairs in 1989--we had to move out for the week that it was done. We used to have carpet, but I love my hardwood floors! Sounds like you are going to have a new home to enjoy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly hoping everything is going to come together and look right in the end with the rest of the house.

      Delete
    2. Hi Cathy,
      This sure has been a busy month for you!!
      I am so excited to see your kitchen transformation,( and if you take a peek over at my post you shall see that I can totally relate to all you are experiencing)!!! ;-)
      You are going to be so satisfied when all is done!! I love your floor choice!!
      Many blessings hugs and warmth, Linnie

      Delete
    3. Hi Linnie. I took a quick peek at your kitchen remodel the other night but won't be able to really give it a good look until I finish mine! The floor installers come tomorrow so I need to finish my painting and wallpapering TODAY! You did quite a lot of work on your kitchen. How long did it take you?

      Delete
    4. How is everything coming along in your remodeling Cathy? Hope all is going smoothly!
      You had asked how long it took. Well for the most part a lot happened in stages but the ceiling/floor/paint walls had us hostage for about 3 weeks. It got old but it was worth it ;-)
      Can't wait to see yours. I'm very happy for you, although my heart is with you for those aches and pains lol!!
      Many BLESSINGS and warmth

      Delete
    5. Hi Linnie. There was a miscommunication about when the floor installers were coming. We thought it was Monday, but it's TODAY. I had an extra two days I could have taken to get everything done. But I'm glad I to be able to take it easy these past two days and start washing things and putting what I could back. The rest will go back on Friday when they're finished with the floors. I sure hope that goes well. We have an odd-shaped room that will require a lot of cutting and fitting in 45 degree angles and undercutting of five door jams. That's why we didn't want to attempt it ourselves.

      Delete
  2. I love the colour of your cabinets, you are going to have so much fun putting things back & changing things around.
    Your photos are lovely, I loved seeing all that you have been up to.
    Thank you for another wonderful post.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I AM looking forward to putting everything back, but it will mean more decision making! And right now making decisions feels more like work than fun. ☺

      Delete
  3. Now that's what I call a busy month! Would it have been quite as busy if it had been properly longer by two or three days, or would you just have found more things to squeeze in? I love how things are coming along, and can't wait to see the finished results! I am considering wood flooring throughout my cottage. Carpet can get so messy {especially when crafting} and I'm sure a daily damp mop will be quicker than plugging in the vacuum cleaner!
    Adore your little Sparrow Mail pictures ~~~Deb in Wales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debs....if I had a few more days in the month I would have been able to finish my painting and wallpapering! I'm not adding anything to what I already have on my plate--intentionally, at least.

      Delete
  4. This is a perfect example of one thing leading to another and that certainly happens with redecorating. I am just amazed at your energy and all you are accomplishing midst the bumps of life and the pleasures of life (like time with Olivia June). Your kitchen cabinets look wonderful and I can't wait to see the countertops and the new floors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed at my energy, too. I'm notorious for pushing myself beyond what most people (with sense) would do. If annoys Ken because he's of the opposite mind. :-) He works hard, just not as long as I do. I think women have more stamina, naturally. We have too! Our work is never done!

      Delete
  5. My goodness Cathy, I just finished reading your blog and I'm exhausted. You have been so very busy! But your redecorating I'm sure will be beautiful. I love the new floors you've chosen. Have a wonderful day and don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Don't work too hard" is not in my vocabulary! Once I get started on something I find it very difficult to stop until I'm done! I did take Saturday off, though. So today I had to work extra long to finish up for the floor installers tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. Hi Cathy! Wow, I got exhausted just READING about all you've been doing lately. LOL! Can't wait to see your newly-renovated kitchen. Sounds like it will be lovely, and won't it be a great shot-in-the-arm to have a nice change? Especially from "The Winter That Just Won't End"?? So glad you're getting your countertops from the Mennonites too. I'm sure you'll love them! Those Amish/Mennonite craftsmen do the most exquisite work. Dovetail joints, the smoothest surfaces and beautiful finishes on everything. Except for my dining room, everything I have was bought from the Amish furniture barn not far from my parents' house. About 25 years ago, several Amish families renovated an old barn and set up shopkeeping there. You should see the gorgeous old barn wood panelling on the walls! I'd be happy to live there, it's that pretty. And I too paid FAR less than it would have cost to get the same level of quality at a "regular" store. I estimate the bill at a commercial store would have been about 4 times as much for all I got [bedroom and living room]. More people should know about Amish furniture!! I try to spread the word whenever I can. I wish I'd known before I got my dining room pieces. So glad to see Olivia too. She's grown quite a bit since Christmas. And whatever she's up to, she always seems to be having a wonderful time. Especially if her good buddy Gabriel is around. I bet she likes Poetry too, but as you know, cats are often different. Not a lot of cats are eager to play with little humans [or big ones for that matter]. Although I suppose kittens would be. OK - good luck with the rest of the renovations - you're going to have a beautiful spic-and-span new space very soon. Just in time for Spring and a fresh start. Please post photos as soon as you can. Very eager to see how the whole thing comes out. Take care and talk to you soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Janet. When I read what I wrote I was doubly exhausted. We just finished up about 30 minutes ago. I vacuumed the house and now am getting the shower! The floor is supposed to be installed tomorrow in the dining room. I'll spend the day washing everything before I put it back in my kitchen. Tuesday they'll install the kitchen floor. I wrote show the kitchen, though, until I get my wood counter tops. Poetry hides whenever people come so Olivia hasn't actually seen her yet. My hutch and first table I got in the 70's were Mennonite made. My son has the table now because it only seats 6. I got a table with an extension later so I could have company. I am really enjoying a clean kitchen and dining room--no dust anywhere!

      Delete
  7. Cathy, Your painting turned out really well, Congrats! I love the color you chose on the cabinets, very close to ours. OOH, sorry you shattered your chandelier, my worst accident during our reno, was stepping off the ladder and hurting my only good knee. Ah, the price we pay for a nice looking room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept thinking about that early in the week....what if I hurt myself climbing up and down that ladder and wouldn't be able to finish before the floor installers came! As it turns out, they aren't coming until Wednesday. Somebody miscommunicated about when they were coming. I would have had an extra 2 days to do everything! But now I'm glad I'm done. Now the fun part--putting everything back after giving it a thorough cleaning. I have to wait until Friday now to put the furniture back, but I can get my kitchen cabinets organized and all the curtains washed and ready for when the room is done.

      Delete
  8. You have had such a busy month! Olivia has grown so much too! The changes you have made to your kitchen and dining room are lovely too! Having plumbing problems with the snow too must have been so frustrating! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The floor installers are here right now and we've alrady had to deal with one problem. Every box had 2 pieces of wood that was totally unacceptable--even the floor company agrees! It looks like they'll have enough for the dining room but the kitchen will have to wait until they can order several more boxes of wood. It's just as well because we have another snow storm coming tomorrow and they probably wouldn't have been able to come back anyway to finish the job tomorrow. This is why it took us 34 years to have these floors redone--renovations never go smoothly!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.