Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Out and About - May


As I gathered my photos earlier this week in preparation for this post I discovered they were mostly about birds and babies.  Little did I realize I could add a third "b" before the end of the month....but I will tell you about that when I get there.  Meanwhile, I have to share this photo of a peacock on my drawing pad!  If you notice, hanging in the window is a stained-glass picture of a peacock.  It was as though it had jumped out of the frame onto the paper as the morning sun gave life to it....
I think my drawing pad is crying out to me that it needs to be fulfilled....

But I have other things on my mind just now like this baby....
We spent a delightful afternoon early in the month babysitting little Olivia while her Daddy was out of town and her Mommy was resting.

In order to find a place for the little sheep family I bought (see Ft. Frederick Market Fair post) I had to find another place for this birdhouse.  When I saw that it had a clean-out door in the back I thought it would probably be put to better use outside.  So I hung it up on the stub of a branch outside my desk window and in no time it had an occupant....

While I was watching Momma Bird building her nest I noticed this woodpecker on a nearby tree....

Then I noticed this Bluejay on top of the entrance to the Enchanted Woods....

But I wasn't done with birds of the feather.  I took a friend of mine and her guest from Sweden into town to stroll along our lovely flood-control creek that flows behind the library.  These ducks were nesting on one of the containers that hold the lily pads put in to help keep the algae down....

We continued our stroll up the main street where we had dessert and tea at this very British Tea Shop with the French name....

I had a scone with cream and jam and a pot of English tea served in the garden....

For Mother's Day we went to Baltimore.  After having a wonderful lunch on our middle son's and daughter-in-law's rooftop deck we strolled over to Fells Point.  I didn't know quite how to take this sign....

If you're having a hard time reading it, the sign is probably meant for you, too.

Once in Fells Point we stopped for gelato.  It seems sheep are another theme for the month because look what I saw being walked on a leash (and wearing a diaper)....

When we got home Olivia and her mommy and daddy stopped in after their visit to Olivia's other grandparents where this photo was taken....

The next weekend we went on the Beyond the Garden Gate tour in Frederick.  I still plan to do a separate post about that so I will show you, instead, a garden that was not on the tour.  I thought they did a charming entrance to their side door....

The next day we celebrated our oldest son's birthday, which was on the 20th.  Here is his sweet little daughter again, yawning, just as they were getting ready to leave....it will be a good ride home for all....


Gabriel shares my first born's birthday.  He, Gabriel that is, turned six this year.  Here he is by the fairy bell I bought in Fells Point on Mother's Day....

I spent the rest of the month working in my gardens.  Here are some of the many flowers in bloom....
Then this week we had an unexpected visitor in the night (notice the broken railing and pushed out post).... 
Because I was unable to get a photograph of our visitor I've decided to set it to words..... 

I'm going to tell you a story of intrigue.  Its a bit scary, so be prepared.  It began one night this week just before 10:00.  The day had been very hot and thunderstorms had peppered the area.  The air had cooled considerably now.  It was a relief to open the window next to my desk to let some of it in.  My cat, Poetry, sometimes sits on the window sill when the window is open or other times just sits on the bed to look out the window, which is about a foot away.  This particular night, however, I looked over and saw that her front paws were on the sill while her back paws remained on the bed.  She was stretched to the maximum.  How odd.  What was she looking at?  I reached for my camera, but it wasnt on my desk where I keep it.  When she stayed that way I decided to join her at the window to see what was so interesting outside.  AFter turning off the light to improve my view into the darkness, I bent down and put my head next to Poetry's.  I could see nothing, but I did hear the rapid galump-galump-galump along the wooden walkway that's situated about six feet from my window.  What in the world?!  I hurried out of the room to the door to the deck at the back of the house where the wooden walkway ends in a ramp up to the deck.  As I opened the door I turned on the outside lights and stepped out, fully expecting to see a very large deer trotting off into the yard.  Instead I saw a very large black bear.  About 10 feet away!  It must have looked comical because as we suddenly saw each other we both turned and retreated to where we had come from.  By the time he saw me he had made his way between the handrails.  As he turned to run back down the walkway his large body broke the thin strip of wood along the top, pushing one of the posts away from the railing.  I pulled the door closed, thankful my Westie, Gabriel, was still on the front porch and not out on the deck because I'm sure I would have had to retrieve him and the last place I wanted to be for very long was outside.  When my husband came to see what all the commotion was about I could barely find the words to tell him what Id just seen.  I could not get the word bear out of my mouth.  It was as though the big gulp of air I'd taken in was stuck in my throat!  My mind was already running through all the what-ifs..... The gate to the deck is held in place by tension and could have easily been pushed over by the bear.   If I had not beat him to the back of the house, would he have crashed through the gate and been on my deck?  Would he have continued down the steps on the other side into my Arbor where hed have the challenge of exiting over a picket fence?  Worse, would he have trampled my flowers?!  

The next morning I put Gabriel on the leash and let him follow the bears scent along the boardwalk.  He did not put his nose to the walk, but instead sniffed the Hostas on one side until they came to an end.  Nothing looked crushed so the bear must have kept to the middle of the path brushing the Hostas as he ran back the way he'd come.

♒ ♒ ♒ ♒ ♒

A few years ago we had a smaller black bear visit our garbage can so now keep the can in the garage.  Weve seen evidence of another bear in our woods latelybark stripped from a tree higher than a small animal could reach, spots cleared of wood chips in the pathways as though something large had been pawing about, and scat.  But I did not expect one to come to my back door!  I find myself now looking outside before I open the door....even in daylight.just in case.  As for my camera, after searching the house I remembered Id been taking photos of the garden earlier in the daybefore the rainstorm.  Oh, no!  There it was, sitting on the table in the Arbor.ruined.  I not only didnt get a picture of the bear I no longer have a camera!  Waaaaaaa!  When I realized I needed to write down my story this title came to mind:  "A Bear Encounter of the Close Kind" and hope I never have to change it to the title of the original story of Goldilocks: The Story of the Three Bears.

Epilogue:  My very handy-man husband disassembled my camera and after a day of "drying out" it is working!  Yay!  There have been no new bear sightings....so far.


16 comments:

  1. What a lovely month you have enjoyed, Cathy. Your granddaughter is just adorable. The photo of her on the bale of hay is precious. I know you are enjoying your times with her. Your garden is looking wonderful and quite lush. How scary it must have been to have such a bear encounter. I've always feared coming upon a bear on hikes, but near your home is quite surprising! Be careful. So glad to hear your camera is found and your husband was able to repair it. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually hoping to see the bear again so I can get a photo! I won't be so surprised the next time.

      Delete
  2. I had just written a comment and wonder where it went. Hopefully you don't get two! I was on the edge of my seat reading your story. What an adventure! I'd be looking around now when I step outside. I'm so glad your camera was rescued and is in working order. Such a sweet granddaughter you have--I'm sure you love every moment you get to be with her. What a cute photo on the bale of hay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dotsie. The first comment did come in, so I deleted it and published this one. I haven't seen Olivia for almost 2 weeks. Her momma posted photos on FB last night and she's already looking different from when I saw her last! I think I'm going to have to arrange weekly visits. We will be seeing her every week for the next 3 weekends so I'm set for a while.☺

      Delete
  3. I always look before I open a door! In the country, you never know who is visiting.
    I'm so glad for you that Poetry is a good watch cat!
    Your gardens are so lovely but Olivia is the sweetest blossom!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine. I've learned to check the front step ever since I almost stepped on a Copperhead snake hiding under the lip of the porch floor, so my eyes are usually trained down. Now I will also scan the immediately vicinity. We've had an injured deer in our front yard before. I think animals are attracted to my home!

      Delete
  4. What a busy but exciting month you have had!! Your garden is so pretty and green!! Wow! I cannot even imagine coming across a bear in your backyard!! You are so blessed with your little one! She is too precious! So glad your husband was so clever in getting the camera fixed. Must be ready to snap next bear encounter. Hopefully from afar with telephoto and safety!! Lol. Great blog entry! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Belinda. Yes, it has been an exciting month in more than one way....and there are still 2 days left in it. I'm glad my camera is fixed, too. I felt lost without it and would have been without one for at least a week while I researched what to get, so I'm glad to have it back. Blessings to you, too!

      Delete
  5. Cathy, I'm always thinking "what a spot!" when I read one of your garden posts, but now that I know you have the occasional bear or copperhead snake, I'm not quite as jealous as I had been. Good grief, that would have been hugely scary for me. If I'd seen the snake especially, I would have my house on the market within hours. I don't think I could have ever relaxed there! But other than that, this was another idyllic garden post - too beautiful. You're so lucky to have a "real" garden to play in. And Ken - wow. I would have thought that camera was a goner - is he that clever with other things too? Sounds a little like my dad, who we all knew could fix anything. PS - that baby gets more darling with every photo - it's amazing to me how much newborns change from day to day almost. Have a great weekend! :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the Copperhead snake, Janet. It is more disconcerting than the bear, actually. But they will leave you alone as long as you don't step on them or put your hand in between rocks where they might be hiding. I've always felt safe in the 33 years we've here--it has felt as though our place is surrounded by protecting angels--that's what it feels like to me. Only two of my boys ever came to harm and one was actually just off our property (skateboard accident involving broken glass along the road and his knee). The other was my then 5-year-old standing on a couch arm and breaking his arm when he thrust it out to try to catch himself. That was our second emergency room visit that day actually. Earlier, a guest had gotten poked in the eye by a branch on a tree while playing with his daughter in our yard. I don't know where the angels were THAT day! I guess they can't protect us from ourselves. ☺

      Yes, Ken can fix just about anything mechanical/electrical. I don't think we could have afforded to live here otherwise. ☺

      Olivia has changed to much these past two weeks without me! I can hardly wait to see her again this Sunday! You have a great weekend, too! I know I will. ☺

      Delete
  6. Ooh, Cathy ... bears in the Enchanted Forest and snakes lurking about in the undergrowth. O my! Hope they all keep their distance in the future. Olivia is cute as a button; good for you for prioritizing time to be with her. Happy to hear all is well with your camera; looking forward to more snapshots of family, home & garden, and travels. It seems you live in an area with lots of interesting places for fun and enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does sound rather like I live in the wilderness! But I'm actually in a development and when the leaves are off the trees I can see the surrounding 6 houses nearby. You'll be getting photos in a few weeks of our travels as we make several stops on our way to Vermont. I'll probably have blog material for the rest of the summer just from this trip! One hint: Susan Branch ☺

      Delete
  7. Before I comment on the bear, I want to say that little Olivia is so sweet! You must be enjoying every minute you get to spend with her. :-)

    That is quite the bear story! I think it makes you an honorary resident of British Columbia, where having at least one bear encounter seems to be a qualification for living here. A word of warning about the fence and gate. A bear could be over either one in a heartbeat. When we lived in Kamloops we had a bear come onto our back deck every night for about a week. One of those nights, after it had ambled back down and was walking away, we went out to take pictures and get a closer look. The back of our property was separated form a townhouse development behind us by a very tall chain link fence. One minute the bear was standing on our side of that fence, and the next he had climbed over and was on the other side, running up through the development. It happened so fast we couldn't believe it. Nor could we believe the bear had been able to get over the fence in the first place. I already had a healthy respect for a bear's speed, but after that night I also had a newfound respect for its agility. It was also the last time we went out on the back deck to observe it, since we then realized the railing around the deck wasn't going to slow that bear down for a second should it decide to attack. The moral of this story is, be very careful if you are going to try to get a picture. Not only can a bear move fast, it can also climb over things in a flash. And you were right - it was so good that Gabriel didn't get out. He might have chased the bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no doubt he would have gone through that gate without stopping. I'm glad I beat him to the door before he got there. I think I startled him as much as he startled me. He was just ambling about. He'd been running up the walkway and ran just as fast back down it. My son plans to camp out in our yard in a couple weeks. He said if it made me feel better he'd get pepper spray. I said, only if he keeps Gabriel in the tent as a warning device. Should I tell him it's still a very bad idea?

      Delete
    2. Hmmm...I'm not sure about Gabriel sleeping in the tent. If he couldn't get out of the tent it might be okay. After reading your reply to a comment above about the copperhead, I would be way more worried about sleeping out and having a snake slither into the tent than having a bear stroll by. I am petrified of snakes.

      Delete
    3. I will try to convince my son to change his mind! ☺ I agree, though, that Gabriel must be attached to a short leash and firmly anchored! I could see him advancing on a bear, but also hightailing it if the bear advanced on him. He's a very fast runner, as I'm sure you know about Westies. I had to chase him once while he was chasing a neighbor's chicken and I could not catch up with him. Thankfully, the chicken found a large bush to fly up into out of reach.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.