Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Out and About - February


February's weather was not any better than January's, but we did go out more because we had things to do---like help one of our son's and his wife move into their new rowhouse on the 1st.  All their friends and family showed up with their cars and moved them the half-mile....

Then on the 5th that ice storm I blogged about hit. We were without power after a tree fell on the line along the lane behind our house.  You can see the tree's on fire....

We were without power for 32 hours.  I spent that first evening reading by candlelight in front of the fire to keep warm....

On the 8th we finished up our kitchen refurbishing.  Ken installed the spice racks he'd made....

Then on the 12th we had a huge snowstorm--blizzard conditions.  You can see our little snowplow at the bottom of the video buried by the snow....

The snow started after dark so Ken had to wait until morning to start plowing.  After digging out the lawn tractor he was only able to plow the top of the driveway.  We had to hand shovel the 300-foot drive down to the street....

The full moon on the 14th made for a serene scene....

We had plans for Valentines and our anniversary on the 15th but had to wait until the 16th to get out.  We went to Mistero for lunch....

Their lasagne was very good.  I almost forgot to take a picture of it....

Afterwards we went to see Winter's Tale, but first we stopped at Lowes to buy paint.  That morning I decided I'd finally paint our bedroom after wanting to for a couple years now.  I went with Valspar's "Harbor Mist"....

I left the ceiling and trim the color they were and when I got around to the wall behind the bed I decided to leave it the old color, too.  I felt it helped tie in the contrasting trim and ceiling.  By the way, those spots on the ceiling are the florescent stars I put up for our oldest son when he was a little boy and this was his room.  I arranged them into their proper constellations and had to paint around them when I repainted the room the last time, so you see why I thought it a great idea to leave the ceiling the color it is....

It finally warmed up and the rain helped to melt and wash away some of the snow....

On the 23rd we went to the baby shower for our soon-to-be-born granddaughter....

The momma-to-be made these cute fruit "buggies"....

They revealed the name they'd chosen for the baby by putting it on the cake....
HOWEVER, they've said they may change their minds once they see her--she may inspire a totally different name!

Then on the 25th we drove the hour to visit our long-time friends who moved to Pennsylvania a few years back....

At least February has not been quite as cold as January, plus we had reasons to go out which helped alleviate some of the cabin fever we start to experience by this point in winter.  Now we'll have to see whether the March adage "In like a lion, out like a lamb" holds true!

8 comments:

  1. Cathy, your February was quite busy. I know you must be getting excited about the birth of your grandaughter. What a lovely way to announce the name. A friend of mine went to a baby shower where the mother found out the sex of the baby by the color of the cake. Things have sure changed since my children were born. In those days you found out the sex when the baby was born.
    I am anxious for spring or a at least warmer weather. I can't wait to get in the garden! Over the weekend I did a little raking of beds etc. It won't be long now! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about getting into my garden. The first warmish day I'm going to go out and at least clean it up. I still have leaves and spent perennial debris that need raking and cutting back.

      Delete
  2. I was outside yesterday and thinking how much I've been in this past month. Inertia combined with snow and cold and a cold … but the sunshine is wonderful now after a gray month for the most part and makes me want to start working in the garden. Still cold though. I like the color of your bedroom paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only 16 degrees here this morning! And a snowstorm is predicted for Monday. March is definitely coming in as a lion.

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely month for you, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially since the weather seemed to rule the month!

      Delete
  4. Olivia, that's such a pretty name! You can call her "Livvie" for short. When is she due? You must be wildly-excited. After 3 boys, you finally get your chance to dress up, and play house and baby dolls and tea parties with a little girl. So happy for you. And those fruit baby buggies! Very clever. I've seen big watermelon whale boats but never these cute little pineapple and bowling ball watermelon ones. After this Winter, I'm hoping March will come in [briefly] like a lion to get it over with - then go on to bring an early and sumptuous Spring! Can't wait to see green again, especially that special fresh green color the grass only has when it's first "born." Not to mention little crocuses peeping up. And massive drifts of daffodils, jonquils, tulips, forsythia. And that wonderful fresh earthy smell when the farmers first start turning over their muddy fields.. Nothing like it. The change that Spring brings must be the most welcome of all the seasons. Even though I must admit liking the change from Summer to Fall an awfully lot too. It will be so good to WANT to go out again. After spending 95% of January and February indoors, it will be great. Being cozy is one thing. Cabin fever is something else entirely. Have a great weekend Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I love your description of Spring. I feel exactly the same about the different shades of green that you can only see in the Spring....and all the new fragrances. I've forgotten what Spring smells like already.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.