Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Julia Child

I recently visited the Food exhibit at the Smithsonian Institute's National Museum of American History....
     
One of the exhibits was on Julia Child's kitchen.  Here is a cute "Remix" of Julia talking about the art of cooking....
            

My love affair with food ended in my 40's when the object of my love began hanging on to me--you know, the kind of relationship where they attach themselves to you in unhealthy ways--like around your waist and thighs.  Eating became less enjoyable at that point--it was hard to enjoy something that left unwanted results, so it followed that cooking would not be as enjoyable.  That's why I can't get excited about cooking shows and recipe books like so many people can.  However, I greatly admire Julia Child's devotion to excellence and the strides she went to to encourage people to try more interesting dishes.  That's why I wanted to see the exhibit.

I've always been a good cook (according to my family) and enjoyed preparing good tasting, nutritious meals for my family of four guys, but after doing it for 40 years I was more than ready to let my husband take his turn in the kitchen when he retired.  In fact, some weeks he does most of the cooking, especially if you take into consideration the bread making.  Yes, I can hear some of my readers already planning their strategy if I should go before my husband.  But I digress.  I thought you might enjoy seeing the photographs I took of the exhibit.  We were not allowed inside Julia's kitchen, so you will see the glare at times of the glass enclosing it.  If you click on the first photo, it will be enlarged and you can go through the photos as a slideshow....
















For more information about the exhibit at the National Museum of American History here:  Food: Transforming the American Table 1950-2000  From there you can find links to blog posts, videos, and websites with more about Julia Child's exhibit.

Bon Appetit!

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a "cook" either but J. Child's kitchen is really inspiring and cute and would make me want to cook. Thanks for bringing me along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Storybook. Never get tired of the topic - I am a capital "F" Foodie. Love to cook, love to bake, love to set a pretty table. I buy cookbooks ALL the time. Sometimes just to read or because they have exquisite pictures. I bought one today - Ree Drummond's first one. I'd love to see Julia's kitchen at the SI - thanks for letting me tag along on your visit. Are the pots, pans etc in the exhibit actually hers? Or reproductions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those ARE her actual pots and pans, including the peg board.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.