Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Living Romantically

"When it comes to living romantically, one shouldn't follow a road map either -- it's something you should discover through contemplation and intuition."  
-Winston Churchill
 photo Hearts_zps69ed5ba4.gif




Being Valentine's Day I thought I'd explore the topic of what it means to be a Romantic.  Below are some thoughts I've collected from Shannon Ables' website The Simply Luxurious Life :

❤️Historically accurate definition of the term Romantic:  A life philosophy that prizes the rejection of pure rationalism in favor of intuition, imagination, and emotion; the embrace of nonconformity and sincerity; a tendency towards nostalgia.
❤️If you've ever had hope that something would work out against all odds that it most likely wouldn't, you have inside you an innate Romantic tendency.  Whether this was instilled by the books you've read, the films you've seen or your very own imagination, you have within you a Romantic spirit that is waiting to be acknowledged and granted permission to come alive. 
 ❤️A Romantic doesn't accept that life as one grows older must be a certain way.  Rather a Romantic is constantly questioning, exploring.  In other words they are perpetually curious.
❤️A Romantic is someone who dares to step inside themselves, listen and acknowledge what is being said.  What calls you, what makes you want to dance?  What tickles your curiosities, what causes you to lose all track of time?  

About that last one Shannon asks, "Why aren't you pursuing each and every one of these activities?"  She does weekly podcasts and has written two books on the subject.  I'm not sure why I tune in because she has never married, lives alone, doesn't want children (she has two dogs), is career-oriented, and young--none of which applies to me.  I can only think it is because she is a Romantic at heart and that I CAN identify with.   
                       
If this topic appeals to you, then you may want to listen to her podcast entitled "Why Not....Be a Romantic?"  At that link, you can also read the transcript if you prefer.

When I was a teenager I expressed my romanticism through my poetry.  I wrote this poem in 11th grade while watching a film about Robert Frost:


As I was walking through the wood one day
And spied a tall tree that despite the wind did not sway
I thought for a moment and began to look about
For my mind was dreaming and started on it’s own route.

Misty and a dull sort of gleam
Flowed through my mind on a pearly stream
Round and round went all the clouds
Before me appeared many living shrouds.

Up and down I began to walk
And engaged myself in a friendly talk
The grassy earth beneath my feet
Carried me onward until a bird I did meet.

I greeted the bird who was quite charming
But flew from me feeling somewhat alarming
I stood in dismay and began to wonder
When out of the skies came a boisterous thunder.

The noise entwined my head with grief
But the torment was only brief
When at last came a flowing breeze
Across my face and through the leaves.

My nostrils caught a scent of green
When my eyes revealed a sight I’d never seen
A bubbling and shining of billowy foam
Flowing forth from a fountain head dome.

I was walking through the wood one day
And spied a tall tree that despite the wind did not sway
I thought for a moment and began to look about
For my mind was dreaming and started on it’s own route.


Once I had my own home I expressed my romantic side through my home.  For me romantic is synonymous with cozy which translates into a log fire in the fireplace. . . .

Lace curtains hung from a canopy bed and floral fabrics. . . .

Candlelit dinners. . . .

Cottage flowers and picket fences in my garden. . . .



Whimsical fairie gardens. . . .


When we vacation I always choose romantic locations!  Like barefoot walks along the beach. . . .

Rooms with romantic decor. . . .

Walks with bluebells and moss. . . .

Lanes lined with stone walls and hedgerows. . . .

Views of a quintessential English village from my room in a quaint, ancient Inn. . . .

And cozy cabins in the snow. . . .

Do you have particular areas, like me, in which you express your romantic side?  Besides the above, I try to purchase romantic-looking clothing when I can find it.  I only go to restaurants for their romantic settings and not their food.  I prefer books, films, art set in romantic settings.  Hmmm, I think I'm more of a Romantic than I realized! ❤️What about you?  Are you a Romantic?

So, what are your answers to Shannon's questions?
❤️What calls you, what makes you want to dance?
❤️What tickles your curiosity?
❤️ What causes you to lose all track of time?
If you aren't doing any or all of these things, why not?


Another way to ask the question is What is the song of your heart?

                    

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

10 comments:

  1. I am in love with your post... and that surely is a sign of my own Romantic heart. I am ..and am not ashamed of it either. Love everything you do in you home too , as mine is the same.. and well especially the last quote by Plato.. so true for when one is in the center of the Romantic , and is touched by a lover, everyone does become a poet. So in answer to what makes me dance and sing.. your blogs do. Your generous healing sharing of all things glorious .. that makes me dance.. your deep understanding too that all this comes from God..that makes me dance... I resonate totally with your yards as I have had the same and loved doing all that and cherishing each section of my eighteen acre resort with its tiny cabins, all lit at night, and its old fashioned paddock yards.. and little lights on the porches and the feeding areas for my birds... with St Francis there in the garden .. a statue from my Gram. Also I have the very same curtains you have around your bed. and similar rose patterned spread and curtains..... oh yes.. I am fearless when it comes to being a Romantic..... and hey. thank you for reminding me of that. That just made my Valentines Day come alive. Thank you, Cathy for again bringing in that Love and beauty only you can bring in. Happiness is yes, being a Romantic.. Merri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are a Romantic, Merri. No doubt about it! Your mention of cabins reminded me I forgot to include the cozy cabin we've stayed in, so have added it to this post. I'm so glad my blog posts bring you JOY! ❤️Happy Valentine's to you ❣️

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've EVER considered myself a romantic, but I am VERY into the 5 senses. I want my home to look good, smell good, be comfortable. I want to have delicious food always - I didn't know it then, but I think I've been what's called a "foodie" since I was a little kid. And I always want to have either Quiet or beautiful sounds in my home, my life. I'm very fussy about many aspects of those things. So maybe I AM a romantic, after all. To answer Shannon's questions:

    What calls me/makes me want to dance? Definitely beautiful melodies. I've never been much of a dancer except in private, and even then there has to be some soaring music to make me do it. But then I'm really unable to resist. I MUST move! The fact that no one can see me unlocks my creativity [something that being seen would totally stifle].

    What tickles my curiosity?
    Smallish type problems that SEEM unsolvable really challenge me. I feel almost dared to solve them. I like pondering all the different angles & characteristics of a problem. I don't solve many, but I do like the pondering aspect. Hard to explain.

    What makes me lose track of time?
    Lots of things. It used to be going into the library. I'd wander around looking at so many different things & the next thing I know, it's been 2 hours or whatever & I have to go. Now that we basically have all the world's knowledge on our laptops, it's definitely the Internet. I'll search on Topic A, and get lost in all that's out there to see. Suddenly it's FOUR hours later & I'm on topic P - go figure! Being curious is a gift, it's led me to learn so much more about the world than I would have known otherwise. I know many people who just aren't very curious & I sincerely feel sorry for them. They haven't a clue as to what they're missing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful answers to Shannon's questions, Janet. I'd say you are indeed a Romantic just because you are curious and willing to be yourself, if only in private. If you like solving problems you might enjoy reading Agatha Christie's Miss Marple short stories in her Tuesday Night Club book. There are 13 mysteries put to the group to solve. My library had the collection of stories included in a book with more Miss Marple short stories called "Miss Marple The Complete Short Stories."

      Delete
  3. I just loved that romantic log cabin in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, I have a romantic heart that embraces all that is lovely to me! Like you, our home allows my romantic heart to express itself inside and out. When I think of the ocean, the mountains, and traveling it fills my heart with all things romantic to me. They all make me want to dance with joy! Gazing at the wonders of our planet fills my heart with such gratitude. Delving into the history of those that came before me fills my heart with wonder as I fit the pieces of the puzzle of life. I often get lost in the moments as I ponder these things. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Shannon said, stepping into what calls you, what excites you, and then relishing it and being grateful is what being a Romantic is all about!

      Delete
  5. Lovely post on Romance...like you lace curtains...a cozy fire...candlelight dinner all play the song of romance for me as well. Loved seeing your English photos of the village...beautiful friend. Take care and have a great weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.