Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Out and About - January 2016


January started off with my catching my husband's New Year's cold but I used the stay-in-bed time to look through all my collection of artists' journals to see which one I wanted to use to guide me through the year in my drawing challenge.  It soon became clear that Beatrix Potter's characters would be just what I needed.  You can read about that here. . . .


I hope to fulfill my dream to illustrate my own children's stories this year.  The Take Joy Society's first get-together was along this line and was led by our member who is a published author.  You can read about it here. . . .

My Christmas present from my second son and daughter-in-law was to take me out to tea at this shop in the quaint little town of Ellicott City. . . .
The food was delicious and more than sufficient.  We each had our own pot of tea served in these lovely pots. . . .
Now that Olivia's Mom doesn't need us to babysit since she is no longer working outside the home we had a playdate instead with Olivia on the 12th. . . .

The Take Joy Society had a second get-together this month continuing with the theme of children's books.  First we visited the Hagerstown Women's Club.  The woman who was the first President of the club is pictured below.  A story I forgot to tell in my original post is that she was Julia Child's aunt.  Julia would come for a visit in the summers to see her cousin and it is presumed that she had lunch at the Club with her Aunt.  From there we visited the exhibit at a nearby museum of Little Golden Books and then went to lunch in a charming cafe in town.  You can read more about this get-together here. . . .

On the 16th we were scheduled to babysit Olivia so her parents could go out to a friend's birthday party.  Olivia had been sick during the night (stomach flu), but as you can see she was fine by the time we got there later in the day. . . .
However, she insisted on kissing me on the lips when I was putting her to bed, and I could not say no to such a cutie-pie.  I ended up two days later with the same ailment.

On the 17th we had a light dusting of snow (photo on left).  It was just a teaser for what was to come on the 22nd (on the right).  You can read about it here. . . .

We ended up paying someone to use their high-powered snow- blower to clear the driveway for us. . . .

Our neighbor won a drone last year and used it to take aerial photos from his yard.  Our house is on the lower right. You can just see our snow-covered roof through the trees.  In the distance is South Mountain which is a foothill of the Blue Ridge Mountains. . . .

Because we were able to get our driveway cleared we got to keep our playdate with Olivia on the 26th. . . .

Our youngest is buying a house so we went to see it when it was being inspected.  The end of March we'll be helping him move.  He will be 28 this week so everyone gathered over the weekend to celebrate it.  I made strawberry cheesecake. . . .

We ended the month by going up to the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts to attend the opening reception for the Cumberland Valley Artists Exhibition.  They showcased photography and various painting and mixed media art by area artists.  Photography wasn't allowed, but I was able to take this photo of their Frederic Church painting in their permanent collection.  We toured his house last September in Catskill, New York.  You can read about it here. . . .



.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!

18 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing your month in review, Cathy. Olivia always makes me smile...the photos showing all of her teeth and smile are just precious. You have thoughtful children that gift you a trip to a tearoom. Gorgeous oil painting of the Catskills as well as the photo by the drone. Great music to accompany this post! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been a wonderful start to a special year to come, despite being ill twice!

      Delete
  2. I look forward to your monthly pics. It makes me feel like I too went touring. Adored the pic's of Olivia! She is so sweet & has a beautiful smile. Especially love the photo of Gabriel chasing her. Looking forward to seeing you in the summer. Love, Sis xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for you to come, too. We'll have so much fun and you'll have two more babies (great-nephews) to meet by then.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you finally made it out!! That Olivia is such a doll. Like Martha Ellen said, you cannot look at her and not smile! Glad you are well, knock on wood I have not been sick this year and when you work with the public; that's saying something. Your cheesecake is fabulous, made my mouth water! On to February!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a busy month Cathy, but how awful to have had both a cold and the stomach flu in January. Toddlers carry the virus load from stomach bugs for much longer than big people. They can sometimes remain infectious for a couple of weeks. She is so adorable though I can see how you couldn't say no to that goodnight kiss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that about remaining infectious for a couple weeks! I will tell her mommy because she came down with it too.

      Delete
  5. You have a busy and wonderful month apart from catching Olivia's germs! Those are wonderful pictures of Olivia and the snow. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, Cathy, you did not spend your January just sitting around inside the house, watching "the idiot box" as my Mom called it - LOL. You always manage to fill your months with some kind of travel, lots of culture and family time too. That's terrific. Bummer about the cold and the tummy bug though. Reminds me of something my Dad told me a LONG time ago. I asked him once why we always kissed cheeks where other families usually kissed lips, and he said that his whole side of the family essentially went from being lip to cheek-kissers because of all the little kids around at the time [when I was little]. Everyone kept getting sick, passing around the same illnesses, because germs were being freely-shared. No kidding. Between our family and my Dad's brother's there were 10 grandkids close in age and of course by the time the 2 oldest [me and my cousin Eileen] started school that made for even more cooties in the mix. So lip-kissing became a "couples only" kind of deal. Dad said if you LOVED someone, you kissed cheeks. If you were IN LOVE, you kissed lips. LOL. And according to my Dad, it really did help to keep a lid on, as Dad would say, "communicable illness." And we have developed even more awesome hugging "capabilities" - so All is Well. PS - Olivia looks as though she's grown about 6 inches since her little high chair-breakfast video! Really losing her baby face and gaining an adorable pre-schooler face. Is she getting chatty? That's the best time - when they start expressing themselves through language. Many good times ahead for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After Kristie told me stomach viruses hang around longer in toddlers I'm going to insist only on hugs or cheek kisses from now on. ☺︎

      Delete
    2. Smart - you will NOT regret it. 💋 LOL - we need an emoji for a hug now, don't we? :>)

      Delete
  7. Amazing all you did this month in spite of being sick x 2. So glad you got to have a play date with Olivia. She is such a pretty little girl. On to February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long month! Easy to fit everything in including being sick twice.

      Delete
  8. Sorry you had such a shaky start, and hope you feel much better now. Olivia certainly is a beautiful child and I know you must miss looking after her as much.
    I love the green shutters on the tea room. I long to have shutters, proper working ones, to protect my windows against the endless winds.
    ~~~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. Yes, I'd definitely have shutters I could close if I lived where you live. I'm continually amazed at the wind you get.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.