Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Out and About - March 2015


The month of March has been a mixture of Out and About.  I finished the painting on the 1st and was ready for the floor to be installed on the 2nd, but it turned out they weren't planning to come until the 4th.  It only took them one day to do the dining room.  Poetry immediately claimed it as her space. . . .

But because the quarter round they brought did not match we couldn't put the furniture back into the room.  They were nailing the molding down when I noticed it was too light and made them stop!  I said I'd stain it myself.  You can see mine as compared to the light one they brought. . . .

Because there was so much defective wood they wouldn't be coming back until the new order came in.  Therefore, Poetry had the room to herself for two weeks.  Once we put the table back in place I found her lying in the same spot in the room only because the table is there now she was on the table, something she never did before.   The workmen would not have been able to come back the next day to finish anyway because we had a snow storm.  You can see the birdhouse was inundated with the 10 inches of snow that fell. . . .

So when my neighbor called to say her friend was unable to go to the terrarium class at Ashcombe Nursery in Mechanicsburg, PA on Saturday, and would I like to take her place, I jumped at the chance.  I needed a break.  Before the class we browsed the miniature plants. . . .

We brought our own containers.  This is Edie's completed terrarium. . . .

Mine is one I showed you last year when I bought plants at Longwood Gardens.  Several of those plants did not survive, so I'm trying again. . . .

Because of the snow I had to reschedule my dentist appoint-
ment.  Finally, I got my permanent crown. . . .

When we arrived to babysit Olivia June we discovered she'd starting walking. . .but not very well because she lost her balance and banged her head on the sliding glass door, then slid down to the wooden edge and promptly cut her forehead.  The ensuing swelling, bruise and blood were traumatizing.  Thankfully, her mommy was working from home that day and was able to take her to the doctor to make sure she was all right.  She was.  It was grandmommy that wasn't.  These were taken before. . . .

This one was afterwards. . . .she took it all in stride once she got over the shock of it all. . . .

The next weekend we went to a garden and flower show.  I was hoping for garden displays, but did find these vendor displays that were a breath of Spring on a cold rainy day.  I loved the gated arbor in the first photo.  The idea of using a ladder to display your plants was inventive, and the bird cage planted with ivy in a mossy basket was charming. . . .

That evening we met the rest of our family in Baltimore to celebrate our other daughter-in-law's birthday.  Olivia June acted like she owned the place, grinning at any waiter that passed by trying to catch their attention.  The music was loud and the patrons noisy, but it didn't faze her one bit. . . .

Finally, the wood flooring came in so they could do the kitchen.  They ran into a new problem when they tried to nail down the wood through the tile.  They'd had no problem going through the old cork floor in the dining room.  But not to worry.  While everyone stood around debating whether the two layers of old floor could be ripped up I suggested that they just float it, which the enclosed instructions said was one of the options using glue in the tongue and groove.  The blue tape was keeping everything in place.  You'll see the almost-finished dining room (the mantle is coming with the countertops) at the end of this post, but I'm saving the kitchen photos until my countertops come in. . . .

Meanwhile, I couldn't just sit around while they checked to make sure they did not invalidate the warranty, plus they'd have to get the new supplies they needed, so I went to Lowes and bought sheers for my bedroom and hung them.  I LOVE how so much more cozier the room feels now. . . .

The day after the kitchen floor was laid it SNOWED again.  It was a beautiful snow, though, and only lasted a couple days.  I'm sure the deer were glad it didn't last long because they had to dig down in it to find something to eat. . . .

The snow was also a beautiful backdrop for the Maple Syrup Festival that several Tasha Tudor kindred spirits and I went to at a nearby State Park the next day. . . .

Later that afternoon was my second dulcimer get-to-gether at my neighbor's cabin next door. . . .

We babysat again the next Wednesday.  Olivia June had a cold!  So she was a little cranky at times.  Here is one of her happier moments.  She was so cute with Gabriel, growling at him and then later when she tried to kiss him. . . .(but then I think she's even cute when she's grouchy!)

I planned to paint the hallway that Friday, but came down with a stomach virus Thursday night.  I won't share any photos of THAT night.  When I felt better on Saturday I painted another one of Edith Holden's paintings from her March diary. . . .

Meanwhile I discovered two engorged ticks on Gabriel so hustled him off to the groomers as soon as I was recovered.   I wouldn't be able start him on the flea and tick preventive drug for the season until 3 days after a bath in order for his body oils to lubricate his skin again.   He was there for 5 hours!  Poor guy.  Boy, was he glad to see me!  When we got home he was at the front door before I was. . . .

We finally picked up our countertops on the last day of the month.  Now I will have to put the protective stain/water sealant on them and let them cure for a couple weeks so you'll have to wait until next month's Out & About to see them.  Here is what the dining room floor used to look like as I was painting the walls a darker yellow. . . .

We removed the doors to the kitchen and hallway, putting a curtain on the doorway to the hallway since the bedrooms are along that hall.  We also removed the lanterns on the wall.  . . . .

All the walls are painted the same color, but you'll notice how they change depending on how the light hits them. . . .

 I did not put back everything that had lined the walls.  I don't need to hide the floor anymore. . . .

This is the view from the kitchen. . . .

  .•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!

22 comments:

  1. The dining room came out lovely! Such a nice place to use your wonderful entertaining skills:-) Oh, poor grandbaby, I know the feeling. Glad she recovered quick!
    Take Peace,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne. I'm very pleased with it, too!

      Delete
  2. Cathy, it looks like you are in the home stretch with your renovations! What a lovely floor! I know you must be happy to have that job behind you. Painting is such a great way to redecorate our homes -- everything is fresh and clean. We need to paint but as I've said before--I hate painting. So it will have to wait for a while. So sorry to hear about Olivia's fall. Children have so many falls and mishaps as they are learning to navigate after learning to walk. I know you didn't want that to happen on your watch! She has a very cute smile and looks like a very happy child! Sorry to hear you have been ill--take care and rest up. I'm looking forward to seeing your new kitchen. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got the countertops today and am disappointed with how the wood is taking the dark tung oil. I'm hoping it will darken with each day's coating. If it doesn't, hopefully it will grow on me. I'll be glad to be done with this project! My basement still has cans of paint and now countertops and solvent smell emanating from it!

      Delete
  3. Cathy the room came out so fresh and beautiful!!! And the floor is stunning and came out just wonderful!!!
    You have had a busy month and it was nice to see those lovely garden terrarium displays!!! Nice !!
    Olivia is a doll and I'm glad her boo boo is ok :-)
    Many Blessings and much warmth, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful home you have, the floor is a real delight, stunning. Beautiful grand daughter, hope you she has recovered from the shock of the fall, they are so resilient at that age. Have a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, mamasmercantile. Olivia June still has a mark on her forehead :-( but otherwise is fine. I hope you have a wonderful Easter, too.

      Delete
  5. Your dining room is beautiful! I love the flooring, and smart you for coming up with the idea of floating the floor over the tile. That Olivia is adorable! Isn't it scary when they first learn how to walk? I remember holding my breath when Lucy would wobble along on her pudgy little legs. It doesn't take them long to get past that stage though. I'm sure you are enjoying all the babysitting you're doing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia is still very wobbly, but she won't sit down for a moment. She picks up a toy and cruises the room with it, swaying forward and backward sometimes. She's even climbing the stairs now! And can do it on her hands and knees--with someone right behind her, of course. We just spent today with her....I'm exhausted!

      Delete
  6. Dear Cathy your room is so beautiful & fresh. I love the floor & finished walls.
    Thank you for another beautiful post about your life.
    We have just bought a 1920s cupboard for the scullery so more painting for me.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. I look forward to seeing your "new" cupboard. What color are you painting it?

      Delete
  7. It looks great Cathy, I love your floors and the color on the walls--all look so fresh or refreshed. What a time, a good saga of how one thing leads to another and nothing is a simple as we think it may be! I hope the countertops cooperate for you. Love that you are babysitting so much! What a sweet baby, and growing so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to put it, Dotsie--saga! Yes, I'm so glad to be able to be a part of Olivia June's growing up--it's happening so fast. My mother only got to see my boys 2 or 3 times a year. I can't imagine only seeing Olivia June only that often!

      Delete
  8. Wow, Cathy - have you had a busy March or what? Need any oxygen? No, you certainly don't need to hide that floor - it's gorgeous. I have always loved your dining room. In every photo, it always looks so cozy, welcoming and hospitable. And bonus, it's traditional old-timey style is right up my alley. Just what a dining room should be, IMO anyway. And that Olivia! I love that she's already "working the room" at restaurants. She has a big birthday coming up soon, doesn't she? But the poor little punkin took one in the name of independence! To be expected, I guess. She's still way ahead of me. My mom said I was up and toddling about at the same age, but hung onto everything to do it. A wobbly, round little chicken apparently. Whatever furniture or grown-up was handy got gripped pretty firmly, I guess. Didn't walk without holding onto something until I was about 18 months old. Shocking! I like to think that I started out as brave as the next kid but had an early fall that some adult made quite a fuss about, and that spooked me a little, making me reticent to try anything solo for quite a while. But of course it's always possible that I was just born a weenie. Oh well, I'm up and walking now. Can't wait to see your kitchen too. Bet you can't wait to have everything done to show it even more. Take care and talk to you soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh, Janet, at you calling yourself a weenie. ☺ I bet someone did make too much of a fuss on your first fall and you just thought you needed to be more cautious for awhile. You probably saved yourself a broken neck. I glad you're up and walking now. Yes, Olivia June will be 1 on the 9th. We're celebrating on Easter, though, with the whole family and her other grandparents. Her parents are planning an egg hunt for her in the yard. We'll see how THAT goes. She'll find the first two eggs--one for each hand--and won't put them down to collect anymore. I think it's going to be a short hunt.

      Delete
    2. Oh, an Easter egg hunt for Olivia's birthday will be a lot of fun! She's bound to have some Easter birthdays in her future, too. One of my sisters is March 29 and she's had a couple of Easter birthdays IIRC. And I bet you're right. As soon as Olivia has an egg in each fist, she'll be perfectly happy and will plop down to look at them. But who knows? She might like finding more eggs and filling up a basket too! Have a wonderful holiday!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Janet. I hope you have a blessed Easter!

      Delete
  9. Well, I think everything looks beautiful. Poetry is obviously very happy too!
    Poor Olivia June! Still, she will find her balance soon enough and then you won't know what hit you ~ you think you are tired now? lol
    Your drawing and painting are so good and your patience is paying off. I am very much looking forward to this progression of months. I think you will have to do one big "exhibition" of them from start to finish next January.
    ~~~Deb in Wales {or Welsh Deb as some are now calling me!}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! Your "exhibition" idea might just help me spend more time at my drawing! I HAVE started drawing in my morning journal on days I have time. That is my first goal--to illustrate my journal, and then eventually my stories.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Yipppee is right! And we have half the countertops installed and I'm very happy with them. We're waiting for help to carry up the largest one from the walk-out basement.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.