Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Friday, October 31, 2014

Out and About - October 2014



October flew by just like leaves falling from the trees on a windy day!  This is what the maple tree in our woods looked like on the first day of October. . . .

Another member of the Maryland Chapter of the Tasha Tudor Museum Society went with me to the Waterford Fair.  You can see my post here.  I loved this log cabin. . . .
The next day was moving day for Olivia June and her parents.  Of course, she had to help with the boxes by being cute in one of them. . . .
Then the next weekend the family headed for CT for my niece's wedding (except for Olivia June and her parents who were still unpacking from their move!).  I love the "holding it together/proud" look of my brother as he walked his only daughter down the aisle. . . .
On our way home we spent two nights in the Endless Mountains.  You can read about that here.  I love this shot of the stream gently flowing over the precipice. . . .
. . . .before cascading down the rocks into one of 22 waterfalls in Ricketts Glen State Park. . . .
Back home we saw these wild turkeys strolling through our woods. . . .
Finally, a free weekend to go yardsaling!  I found this darling chair for Olivia June for $1, but Poetry thought it must be for her since it's just her size. . . .
I also found the complete Ashton Drake nativity set for $35!  Until Olivia June is old enough to play with the dolls I have given Baby Jesus to Hannah to care for. . . .
I dried apples and oranges for the craft the MD Chapter of the TTMS is planning to make next month. . . .
We got to spend the whole day with Olivia June.  I found this little hat for her.  Doesn't she look like a little imp!  In the last photo she's saying, "Enough of that Grandmommy". . . .
She loved the plastic monkey book with its squeaker that I brought.  After looking at it with great interest, she rolled over and started chewing on it, shaking it in her mouth like Gabriel does when he's "attacking" one of his toys!  I had to take it away from her because she actually tore a small hole in it with her two bottom teeth. . . .
Later, Granddaddy videoed her on his computer, then played it back for her.  I can't tell what she's thinking, but she seems mesmerized by all the squealing coming from the screen. . . .
When we saw that it was going to be near 80 degrees this past Tuesday, we figured this would be the last time this year we'd be able to put the top down on the Roadster and drive out to Western Maryland to look at the foliage.  I mapped out a route that took us on back-country roads.  It took us 3 hours-10 minutes, one-way, to drive what would have been 1 hour-45 minutes on the Interstate!  But we saw some breathtaking scenery, some of which I captured on my camera and will show you later, along with George Washington's "bathtub."  We began our day's journey on the road to Burkittsville.  Here is the same view I shared on my Blueberry Muffin post if you want to compare it with the view in July. . . .
Goodbye Autumn Leaves on the Maple!  Goodbye October. . . .

•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!

24 comments:

  1. That baby is growing too fast! Your apples and oranges are simply beautifully dried: I love to dry the oranges for the Christmas tree. The vignette of the doll , her cupboard and little table is so sweet with the fire ablaze. Everything is so nice at this time of year, love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeri. I thought the apples and oranges turned out nicely, too. Now I just need to string them into a garland, along with some found nature objects. . . .I sure could use your artistic eye! Olivia June IS growing up too fast. I see her every other week and already miss the times she was content to lie snuggled in my arms. She's much too wiggly for that for very long unless she's taking her bottle.

      Delete
  2. The pictures of Olivia June are delightful she looks such a poppet! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe that October is almost over! We may have frost this weekend and we have been cleaning up pots of geraniums to bring indoors to overwinter. Also a couple of large hibiscus need to find a home downstairs. I can see you are loving your time with Olivia June. What a little sweetie pie she is. I bought some dried oranges,limes,quinces and apples when we were in Williamsburg a couple of weeks ago. Yours look wonderful. So do you have any special secrets to assure their success? Lovely posts and photos as always, dear Cathy! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I brought my hibiscus in two weeks ago and it's already dropping leaves. ☹ My Gardenia is doing well, though. For the dried oranges, I sliced them about 1/4 inch, pressed paper towels into the slices to absorb some of the juice, then baked them for 6 hours at 170 degrees on a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet. Turn them over half way. Then I put them on the cookie rack and let them continue air drying for a week or more. I did the same with the apples, only you soak them in 2 cups lemon juice with 4 tsp. salt for about 10 minutes first. I just shook the juice off and baked the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, I have used a technique as you have described but maybe not as long in the oven. I have had a mold problem with my dried fruit. Maybe the extra time in the oven would help that problem. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that you need to spray them once they're dried with clear acrylic spray if you want to preserve them. A couple years ago I dried oranges to hang as ornaments on the tree and they'd gotten moldy when I got them out the next year.

      Delete
    2. Cathy, thanks for the directions for drying the fruit; I'm going to try this this year. Apparently similar directions can be used for acorns. They should be rinsed thoroughly first and then oven dried. Simple, and somehow it is so cozy to have natural materials to decorate our homes.
      We have seen George's bathtub; such a lovely drive for you.
      We were up to Emmitsburg on the 20th for our anniversary. We didn't plan to do it, but we drove on to Catoctin and enjoyed the drive through the park and then all the back roads home.
      Olivia June is just so adorable! I love the photo of her in Granddad's lap. The hands together is so wonderful.

      Delete
    3. Congratulations,Elaine. How many years have you been married? I wonder why you need to over dry the acorns? Olivia June's hands ARE quite adorable! When I was getting ready to leave she was sitting on her Daddy's lap. I squeezed her hand to say goodbye and she grabbed my finger and wouldn't let go! It's moments like this I wish I could hang onto. I guess that's what memories are for.

      Delete
  6. Another lovely post and pics! Especially of Olivia June...She is such a little punkin'! And, that hat?... The cutest! I look forward to seeing the TTMS Chapter project! Hugs from Alabama ~ Donna E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! I will post pictures of our crafts.

      Delete
  7. What precious sweet photo's & the shoot of the stream is stunning.
    Thank you for a beautiful post.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! That shot of the quiet stream before it cascades down the cliff is my favorite of our walk through the woods.

      Delete
  8. PS - I can't believe how big Olivia's getting. She is SO DARN CUTE. That striped cap is the best! It will be adorable in Christmas photos. And what a fun age she's at now. Awake more and alert, interacting with everything she sees and hears, expressing herself/trying to talk and sing etc. But not "into everything" yet. "Not ambulatory" as my Dad would say. You don't have to chase her around yet. But those days are coming soon when she'll voraciously object the moment you try to settle her in her playpen, no matter how many interesting toys are in there. So get those Grandma sneakers ready - LOL. Did you have a good Halloween? Did Olivia "dress up?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet. Did you make a comment before this one? This is the only one I have received. As for Halloween, because of where we live we have never had any trick or treaters so we do not observe the day at all. In fact, I'm always glad to see it over because of the scary, gruesome displays that I feel are too frightening for children today. I found a little monkey costume for Olivia June and they dressed her up in it for a party they went to, but I'm still waiting to receive a photo. I think they only took cell phone photos so I may have to dress her up it in the next time I'm there and take my own photo!

      Delete
  9. Olivia June is a beautiful baby, but why must they grow up so fast? A lovely reminisce of recent entries, all of which I enjoyed immensely and all of which I am happy to see again.
    We have a new word, "Yardsailing!" for I didn't have the right glasses on when I read this first and misread 'yardsaling' so, there you have it! Welcome to the world of sailing from yard to yard
    ~~~waving~~~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps your word works better! My "yardsaling" is meant to mean "going to yard sales"....but I like yours better! Sailing from yard to yard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a month you have had. It looks like your leaves are all down, ours are just starting. Maybe our cold weather will speed it up not that I'm in a hurry. I can't get over how quickly your Olivia June is growing, She is darling. I know you enjoyed that whole day with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it's about half and half--half are down while the other half are either still green or have turned.

      Delete
  12. PS - Olivia is undeniably a Dr Seuss character in that hat - so cute. I'm guessing that'll work for Christmas too, especially if you can find her an "elfish" baby outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning dear, dear Cathy! I wanted to come by before I go to work to thank you kindly for gracing my comments page last night! To imagine is the only way I can get through life.....so many obstacles could be discouraging, but when I think of all the things I've been able to do in my life, I have to say that it all started with IMAGINATION....imagine being a teacher, imagine going to France, imagine moving away to go to school...everything.

    May you be blessed in all things, enjoy the new season and holiday coming! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anita. May you be blessed as well!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.