Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Out and About - April 2016

I don't have much to show you even though it was a busy month!  On the 1st we flew to Phoenix for Ken's nephew's wedding.  It was a lovely affair and we got to spend time with several other family members we hadn't seen in awhile.  I captured the sun setting just over Ken's greatniece's head. . . . 

The next day Ken's brother and sister-in-law took us to the Desert Botanical Gardens.  I shared some photos earlier in the month HERE.  It was hard to pick just one to share here.  I chose this one because I love adobe-style houses.  This one was in the middle of the complex--a place to sit in the shade and eat ice cream.  We found ourselves resting here on several occasions during the day.  This was the court yard of the building. . . .

The next weekend was Olivia June's 2nd birthday!  This lady bug costume was one of her gifts. . . .

We also went to Cindy Downs' art show that weekend.  Cindy is a Take Joy Society member.  This is one of her paintings that I really love. . . .


The Take Joy Society met this month at my house for a luncheon, video about Beatrix Potter, then a craft:  English Cottages made out of cardboard, pebbles, and moss.  This is mine.  It belongs to Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit family now. . . .

Just before everyone arrived for the luncheon we found out that our grandson had been born!  He weighed 7 lb. 7 oz. and was 21 inches.  Mother and child are doing fine.  When he was 10 days old Olivia June went to meet him for the first time. . . .


I had my last three watercolor classes this month, but this is the only painting I'll share.  We were to copy another artist's painting.  Mine barely resembles it.  I had a problem with the sky and tried to "fix" it, which is next to impossible with watercolor--but the rest of it I'm liking pretty much. . . .
I've signed up for several Craftsy painting classes and am eager to get back to them.  I realized what I love about watercolor painting is the colors you can create by mixing different combinations of just 6 different colors.  This is what I'm learning to do in the first Craftsy class.

We've been to visit our grandson several times in the last two weeks, helping out after our son had to go back to work until our daughter-in-law's mother could come from Mexico.  I miss him already!  I consoled myself by working in my garden these last two days. . . .
The Azaleas are in bloom (above) as are the Dogwood (below).  My Lilac bushes that have grown into trees over the 8 years I've had them have FINALLY gotten a few blossoms . . .



Yesterday we went fence shopping.  A couple years ago I found an old 8-foot wrought section (you can see a bit of it on the right below) for $45!  I wanted to let Gabriel have more room to roam so we enclosed the front yard using that 8-foot section and a 2-foot wire garden edging that was very inexpensive.  Gabriel couldn't jump over it, but we could step over it.  Perfect!  Wrong!  Because last weekend a large stray dog chased a deer OVER that 2-foot section into the front yard, down the steps and over the gate at the bottom of the steps.  Ken only saw the leap into the driveway.  They must have jumped from the landing which is level with the top of the gate.  This was disturbing to think a stray dog could come into the yard, so it was time to find a taller fence that matched the 8-foot section I already had.  A bonus would be the deer could no longer come into the yard to eat my tulips like they did just before this incident.  Of course, I wasn't going to be so lucky as to find a bargain again.  We had to buy two more 8-foot sections.  We found the below, which I love, only each section was $125 😳 So I asked if she'd take $100 each instead and she said YES!  But we're not done.  It doesn't quite reach all the way to the Arborvitae where we have deer netting to finish fencing off the rest of the yard, so we're going to get a gate which will solve the problem of not being ale to step over it now.  Here are several views of it.  Isn't it pretty?. . . .





.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!


14 comments:

  1. Your garden, as usual, is already looking lovely. What a green thumb you have, Cathy. I especially love the photo of the little hanging lamp and a chunk of roofing of some kind, with vivid red flowers next to it. My apartment complex really does a nice job with their landscaping, but it's been a fairly-chilly Spring so far in Rochester, so there's not much in the way of flowers yet. Just those perennial stalwarts, crocuses and daffodils. And the crabapple tree outside my bedroom has flowered. But we've had our grass cut twice already, so there's that. I love that Olivia got a ladybug costume. When my brother & his wife were expecting their first [also a girl] they found a little clutch of ladybugs near the ceiling when painting the nursery. And they were reluctant about getting rid of them. My SIL's
    mom was somewhat superstitious and had told her that [ a] apparently ladybugs are good luck and [b] they're also supposed to be somewhat like spiders, a very good bug to have around because they'll tackle all the other bugs in the area. So ladybugs became sort of a "motif" for my niece Julia. Over the years we've bought her lots of ladybug stuff - clothes, tote bags, books, toys. I gave her a ladybug charm when she first got a charm bracelet etc. Olivia looks like she is "all about" being a good cousin to Alejandro, who is even more adorable now. Her little black, white and yellow outfit is the cutest thing. Olivia does have the nicest clothes. Her mother - and grandmothers I suspect - have excellent taste. Is she excited about the new baby about to arrive at her house? Or does she pretty much forget about him until a grownup reminds her? I once asked my mother if I liked having a new little brother - I was Olivia's age when my first sibling made his appearance - and Mom said that I liked him, I "petted" him when he was in her lap being fed etc and apparently didn't act overtly jealous or anything. But that generally I didn't bother with him much because, as she said, "he was boring to you." Which makes sense. To a 2-year old, newborns must seem dull. You can't really play with them or do anything fun with them. Oh well, it won't be long - another month or so, right? Oh I wanted to ask how your son with the new house is doing? He's your youngest, right? Is he liking that wonderful neighborhood he's in now? 💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet...That "chunk of roofing" is the top to our pit well. Years ago I put the shake roofing what was there and built a stone wall around it (it's about a foot off the ground on the other side) and planted flowers. That is neat about the ladybug motif for your niece. A charming story for her tell. I can't answer any of your questions! I'll have to ask my son if he's had any encounters with his friendly neighbors yet. And Olivia, I'm sure her mommy's girth reminds her constantly that there is a baby on the way. I wasn't there when she met her little cousin, but her mommy plans to tell me all about it when I see them on Tuesday.

      Delete
  2. You have had a very busy month filled with joyous family events. Your new fencing is lovely to look at (and your white picket as well). The lilacs reminds me of growing up when we had several in our yard, including one that was all mine. I don't remember why, but I know it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you just claimed it as yours! That's the way I felt about the banana tree that was outside my window when I was a little girl.

      Delete
  3. Love your new iron fence & gate! Looking forward to taking a stroll with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have the gate yet! Hopefully, the one we saw where we bought the fence will fit. We may go there today to check it out.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful garden and the fence is looking amazing. The little lady bug is a real delight. Glad to hear all is well with the new Grandson, congratulations to you all. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope your newest grandbabies are doing well, too.

      Delete
  5. I always love the photos from your gardens, Cathy. I have decided I don't really have gardens ;) Rather, I view the land as a large park with some flower edgings. It makes me feel better about the rustic, overgrowing spaces. This was not a good spring to redo the gardens,so much picking up and hauling away from the winds and storms. Maybe I will be able to make some improvements in May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my garden and would LOVE for you to visit it. If you're ever over this way, I hope you will call to see if we're home.

      Delete
  6. Cathy, it's so sweet to hear that you are enjoying your new grandson. I know Olivia must look like a big girl to you.
    Your ethereal garden photos are lovely. And the wrought iron fencing looks quite handsome-- I hope it serves its purpose. I must admit to loving the white picket fence--so romantic. I'm glad to hear your lilacs are blooming. They have the sweetest fragrance. I have my grandmother's lilacs and I'm afraid they have not bloomed for a couple years as it's quite shady where they live. I have very few sunny spots in my garden. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen. My Lilacs have been in the sun from the get go. I think it was the fireplace ashes I added around them these past two years that has made the difference.

      Delete
  7. Your garden is looking lovely and although the new fencing was expensive it does look lovely! You always seem to have busy months and lots of time with different members of your family. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.