Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Monday, November 30, 2015

Out and About - November 2015


Another month for which there was much to be thankful!  I made Olivia a tent over the dining table. . . .

We went to the annual Open House of local artists Harry Richardson and his wife Deborah Lovelace Richardson.   Click on the links to see their wonderful paintings.

Then a couple weeks later we stopped in Gettysburg, PA for lunch on our way up to York.  The road takes you through the battlefield.  A tour of the battlefield on horseback was in progress.  Then when we got into town we felt as though we were in a parade because people were lined up along the street.  We'd stumbled into a parade about to happen as the re-enactors made their way to the staging area. . . .

In York we went to the Fine Arts Show because Will Moses was to be there.  He is the great-grandson of Grandma Moses.  I've been reading books about Grandma Moses in preparation for a get-together for my Take Joy Society.  We plan to paint in the style of Grandma Moses. When we were in Vermont in September we'd stopped at Mt. Nebo (Grandma Moses' home) where Will Moses has his gallery in nearby Eagle Bridge, NY.  I was disappointed that I didn't get to meet him then so we ran up to York when I saw he was to be there. . . .

I found a print I wanted to have so I told Ken this could be my birthday present.  I chose this one because I've been to Walden Pond and felt a connection to it.  This is the unframed print which is now at the framers. . . .
Walden Pond in Winter by Will Moses
Deer don't usually enter our front yard.  Under those trees is a mesh deer fence about 4 feet high.  The deer sauntered over to it and leapt over the fence from a standing-still position a few moments after I took this photo. . . .

I made place cards for Thanksgiving using my October painting.  I can't begin to tell you how much this pleased me--to see my art used in this way. . . .


Everyone was home for the day.  We had an additional guest of our daughter-in-law's mother who was visiting from Mexico.  Our meal was mid-day.  Ken was in charge of the turkey, sweet potato rolls and brussels sprout.  I made the sage-sausage stuffing, Indian Corn Pudding, slow-cooker Sweet Potatoes and Apples, Susan Branch's cranberry sauce, and Ambrosia.  For dessert I made pumpkin and apple pies. . . .

Olivia didn't make it through the late supper of leftovers. . . .

Fairview Chapel in nearby New Market held an Open House last weekend.  This little chapel dates back to 1847 (rebuilt in the 1980s).  Totally lit by lanterns and candles, it is heated with a wood stove.  Music is provided by a pump organ.  I thought it was only used at Christmas time and never attempted to visit because I'd heard there often was no room for all who came.  So I decided this would be a good time to at least see it.    I discovered their ministry is missions and that they meet every Sunday evening utilizing visiting pastors from the area. . . .

I took down my Autumn decor and put up the Winter Decor this past weekend. . . .

I  had a birthday this month and am celebrating it over several weeks individually with my sons and daughters-in-law, friends, and Ken.  My biggest gift--well, actually, gifts--is to learn that I'm going to have two more grandchildren next year!  Olivia will be getting a little brother (they think) and a cousin.  We should know before the end of the year for sure whether I should start collecting little boy clothes or more little girl clothes or maybe both!

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!


23 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new arrivals to the family. I have two new additions expected as well, two more Grandchildren a boy and a girl. Exciting times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to you and your family, too! How many grandchildren will that make?

      Delete
  2. I am so happy to hear the good news! More babies to cuddle, love & spoil. GOD is good! Love, Sis xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on more grandchildren! You have had a lovely month of interesting things to see an do. Little Olivia falling asleep in her high-chair is precious!
    I am so pleased you did the place cards with your watercolor of the leaves and acorn. I loved that one. May I ask how you made the place cards?
    My birthday is next month and I am flying to Ohio this weekend with my mother ( a very young 92). We have such a great time when we travel! We are helping my son with the Christmas Village that she and my dad built years ago. The grands are finally old enough. Really looking forward to the time with Mom and my family. Jim's daughter is coming in to stay with him while I am gone.
    I know you are excited about the grandchildren news. Looking forward to finding out all about them.
    Much to do!
    Chris W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chris, just google "place card template". I printed mine out on 32 lb. paper and used the paper cutter to get neat cuts. You can also purchase place card paper that comes with perforations and use the template they provide. Once you get the first one set up you just copy and paste the drawing into the other cards (usually 6 to a page) and type in the person's name. Your trip to Ohio sounds wonderful. I'd love to see this Christmas Village.

      Delete
    2. I will have to check it out. I knew you could download templates and I'm pretty sure Avery makes sheets of place cards, but I didn't know you could upload a photo to it. Very cool.
      I will send you a picture of the village when we get it up. My mom is beside herself with excitement. That village meant so much to her. It has been in storage for at least 15 years.
      Chris

      Delete
    3. Chris, that is so wonderful that your mother is still so young at 92! May we all be that way! For the photo, my Word program lets me "insert" photos or sometimes you can just drag them to the spot you want them and then by clicking on them you get a "frame" that allows you to down-size them to fit.

      Delete
  4. Greetings Cathy. I loved reading all about your activities; you have been busy. I visited Gettysburg a few years ago and I was quite fascinated by the history. We don't have that type of thing on the west coast. Your beautiful place cards matched your tablecloth, too! Congrats on the new expected grandchildren. Aren't they a blessing? Have a wonderful day. Hugs to you, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I find it rather sad, though, to live in the "midst" of several battlefields. We tube down Antietam Creek under Burnside Bridge--it's such a peaceful place now--but I can't help but feel all the struggle and death that took place there not so long ago--our own countrymen against each other.

      Delete
  5. Another memorable month chock-full of earthly delights! How exciting to anticipate all the new year has in store, and Olivia gets to be 'the big sister' and cousin. Did Will Moses sign your print? What fun for you and your group to try your hand at Grandma's style. Kudos on sharing your own artwork at the dinner table! Your winter decor looks cozy and inviting, and you're no doubt in the throes of decking out the halls. BTW, you shared previously that you sometimes re-use old wall calendars when the dates align themselves with the current year ... do you happen to know if there's one I might use for 2016? I have several I've saved by Susan Branch, as well as Mary Engelbreit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon. 1988 is the only corresponding year to 2016 unless you go back to 1960 or before. The leap year factor limits your choice in 2016! Will Moses' signs his prints before they are shrink wrapped in addition to the signature on the original painting.

      Delete
  6. I had typed a lovely comment Cathy and then it was lost as I checked Harry Richardson's work. His work looks quite familiar to me. I'm thinking his Chesapeake work was featured at art shows my sister and I used to attend. How nice for you to meet Will Moses! His work is so similar to Grandma Moses' work. I love that you used your art for your Thankgiving table place cards!
    Congratulations on the good news of more grandchildren to bless your family! Olivia is just the cutest!
    Happy belated birthday! Sending joy to you during this season! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen. Harry Richardson has a second home along the Chesapeake so I'm sure it was his work you saw.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your news about more grand children. Olivia will have lots of company in her den under the table! Your thanksgiving celebrations look some homely. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a nice Thanksgiving. The nice thing about the midday meal is the supper of leftovers. We usually always made turkey sandwiches with the left over rolls. Now we tend to eat around 4, to let the little ones nap. Your home looks lovely with its winter decor. The table is stunning! Congrats on two new little ones coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dotsie. There was no way that Olivia was going to nap with so many people around to entertain her. We've always eaten it at mid-day just so that we don't have to cook again that day.

      Delete
  9. Such pretty Thanks Giving photos, love your place names.
    Congratulations. We too will be Grandparents in March, a little girl.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle, and congratulations to you, too! Such fun!

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful month for you, Cathy! A birthday, Thanksgiving, and the news of two more grandchildren on their way! I really like the print you bought, and your place cards are beautifully done. I'm guessing Gabriel must have gone crazy when the deer came into your yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristie. Gabriel didn't see it because the windows he can see out don't overlook that part of the yard.

      Delete
  11. Your Thanksgiving table was gorgeous, Cathy. As usual. No one does the holidays like you do. There's no way I could have put together 3 very different china patterns and have it look as well as you did. And perfectly-suited to Fall. You're a master. That shot of Olivia corked off in her high chair is adorable too. I remember something similar in our family once. A regular Sunday dinner at our house - I was about 6 - and my paternal grandparents happened to be there for some reason. We were having dessert, and it must have been getting close to naptime for my siblings, because my baby brother [less than a year at the time] began to have some serious trouble holding his head up. After a while we were all watching him as his head bobbed up and down, his eyes would then close and he'd slump to the chair tray, where he would then suddenly awake sharply, sitting up and blinking. He did this 4 or 5 times I guess - he just didn't want to miss anything that was going on - and then finally he did not wake up the moment his chin hit the tray. He just wriggled himself into a more comfortable position and proceeded to continue his nap as the Amazing U-Shaped Baby! Which is when my Dad carted him off to his room and the rest of us got started on clearing the table. My grandparents talked about how cute that was for the rest of their lives! PS - I love the white runner and candles on your Holiday table - just beautiful. Is the runner crocheted? It looks like it. Or maybe cutwork? Whatever it is, it looks perfect. You could even leave it out for Winter once the holidays are over. Oh and BEST OF ALL - congrats on the news that you're getting TWO new babies next year! How do you think Olivia will adapt to sharing the spotlight? Of course, there's no way to know really, but I have to say Olivia certainly seems like a very open and agreeable little kid - always up for whatever's going on. She doesn't seem to have many cranky or stubborn moments. I'm guessing she'll be very interested in her little sibling - and very glad to be Mommy's helper. Anyway, congrats to all the parents and grandparents-to-be. And the big sister-to-be as well! Take care and talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The runner is crocheted, but not by me! I will leave my winter decor up until Spring and only take down things that are too Christmasy after the New Year when we take down the tree. And guess what. Olivia is going to have a boy cousin. We found out today. Whether she's getting a brother or sister has not been definitely confirmed yet. As for the dishes, the last photo was a different meal. For dinner I had all the same dish pattern. All my dish pattern are so different from one another I don't think any of them would look good on the same table together.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.