Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Out and About - September 2015


September has just sailed away from me!  I'm very much a "routine" kind of person, but it seems that the Powers That Be are forcing me to be more flexible.  Here is what I've been doing. . . .As  you can see, our Spruce has not perked up at all this summer.  Behind it are the wild turkeys that have been visiting off and on for a few weeks now. . . .

I had my day of drawing/painting, as usual.  You can read my Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady post here.  I'd hoped to do a second painting this month but have not been able to find the right time to do it. . . .

Reason #1:  The first reason I haven't found the right time is that we went on vacation for six days.  I've already written about parts of our trip.  This post was about our stay at the Bavarian Manor Inn and our visit to Frederic Church's home, Olana, in New York State. . . .

Then we headed for Norwich, Vermont, but first stopped at the Vermont Country store in Weston. . . .

The next morning I dropped Ken off at King Arthur Flour for the first of two days of baking classes.  I will be doing a post about his classes later. . . .

I then headed for southern New Hampshire using back roads.  My first destination was Harrisville.  This was one of the villages Tasha Tudor used for her illustrations for her Corgiville series.  I did a post about it here. . . .

My next stop was Pickety Place.  You can read about that visit here. . . .

My third stop was in Contoocook, NH.  It was the little town close to Tasha Tudor's New Hampshire home.  I will be writing about that on my Take Joy Society post sometime in October.  I will also include my visit to the Tasha Tudor Museum in Brattleboro, VT. . . .

At the end of the two days of classes King Arthur Flour held a fund-raising event for the community by hosting a tasting dinner featuring several restaurants.  Everyone who attended was entered in a raffle for a $100 gift card to one of the restaurants.  And guess what!  Ken won!  It was very fitting because it was his birthday.  The only thing is, we have to go to Windsor, NH by next July to use it.  Here he is with one of his teachers, cookbook author, Jeffrey Hamelman, who signed his book, "Bread - A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes" for Ken. . . .

The next morning we stopped at a nearby Farmer's Market before starting our journey homeward. . . .

This is just before we got to Bennington, VT.  What does that cloud formation in the center look like to you?. . . .

Since we were getting a late start in the day, we planned an overnight stay half-way home which gave us time to stop at Bennington Museum so I could see the Grandma Moses exhibit.  No photographs were allowed of her paintings, though.  We also stopped at her great-grandson's gallery in Eagle Bridge, NY.  Will Moses paints folk art, too, and lives in his great-grandmother's house, Mt. Nebo.  I will be doing a post about this next month on my Take Joy Society web journal. . . .

We stopped at Olivia's house to pick up Gabriel, so we were able to spend some time with her before going home. . . .

Reason #2:  My brother came for a short weekend visit.  Here he is reading to Olivia.  Another day we took him into Frederick to see the Carroll Creek Park improvements.  They've installed new fountains and water plants to help eliminate the algae that had plagued the creek. . . .

Reason #3:  Ken's brother and his wife came for a visit a few days later.  We took them down to see the Carroll Creek Park, too, and had lunch along the creek. . . .

We also went to the Middletown Heritage Festival.  Middletown is a little hamlet in the valley west of Braddock Mountain.  South Mountain is in the distance.  The church in the background was completed just before the Civil War and was used as a hospital after the Battle of South Mountain. . . .

Then we hosted a potluck get-together for them with their other brother and family and our family who all live in the area....17 in all plus the two little ones:  Theo, a great-nephew of Ken's and Olivia. . . .

Half the Schultz clan gathered in our Arbor. . . .

Ken's brother and wife will be staying longer than they'd planned because on the way here their camper van started having engine trouble.  It turns out they need a new engine, so will be with us an extra week while it's being repaired.  Since they live in Wyoming and we don't get to see them very often, this has been one of those blessings in disguise....at least from our point of view, but then, we aren't having to pay for the new engine!

P. S.  I thought the cloud formation looked like a teddy bear sitting down being hugged by a smaller one from behind.

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!

18 comments:

  1. I will have much to catch up on with your blog.We are on the road so I am briefly popping into my favorite places for a moment. I'll be back, very interested in the Village post beneath. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing your post about your country fair travels!

      Delete
  2. You have been busy, Cathy! Indeed, where did September disappear to? I've followed your journeys, and now look forward to reading about Ken's baking classes with eager anticipation. What a lucky man to win that voucher! Is it very far for you to travel to use it?
    I love the photo of Gabriel taking Olivia for a walk. Goodness, she is growing up so fast. She is adorable.
    What can I see in that cloud? Well, I think {very unimaginatively} I see a rabbit with a big foot, but just slightly to the right, and down, it looks like a fluffy kitty or maybe a Tribble? I see tiny black eyes and a nose. Definitely a Tribble.
    ~~~Deb xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, it's a 9-hour drive! If we don't have another reason to go up that way by next July, Ken's going to offer it to some friends we made while there who visit that area more often. I can see the rabbit now that you mention it!

      Delete
  3. Cathy, you've been a busy gal for sure! All very joyful and happy times with a vacation and time with family. Seeing places we've visited is always nice to see here. It's wonderful you can gather so many of your family under your lovely arbor. Gatherings with loved ones are the sweetest.♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have had a very busy month Cathy. It is always good to have family gatherings isn't it! Congratulations to Ken on his birthday and prize.Is he now baking you lots of bread? Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic month, so much happening. There is nothing better than a family gathering, making some wonderful memories to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say you've had a busy month! Filled with some interesting things! Your arbor is so pretty and looks like the perfect place for just what your picture showed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a wonderful month, Cathy! By the way, I thought the cloud formation looked like a turkey. :) And that made me happy because November and Thanksgiving (my favorite month and holiday) are nearly upon us (ok still a month away but I always look forward to it!!) Can't wait to read your post about Ken's baking class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkey you say? Hmmm....I think you are, indeed, eager for Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  8. Be afraid, Cathy - be very afraid! At first glance, I also thought the cloud was a teddy bear. That you're thinking a little like me should give you pause - LOL! Boy, next time around I think I want to be you. You have all kinds of adventures I'd like to have too. You're a master gardener which is another opportunity I missed this time. You have a very handy husband who also bakes - from SCRATCH! How great is that? I can just imagine what your house smells like on baking days - oh boy! And you are grandma to the world's cutest toddler [my niece and nephew excepted of course]. Are those little coms on Olivia's shoes? Too cute for color TV! Great family photo and what a spot - I love arbors. Have you ever consider growing some type of climber on it? I don't know if that's easy or difficult, but it sure would be pretty.

    PS - today would have been my parents' 60th wedding anniversary. I always remember the day but not usually the year - so it's funny that I noticed "60" this year. I bet my Mom gave me a little "celestial nudge." Apparently it's the diamond anniversary, as well it should be - what an accomplishment! Hope you and Ken get way past that point yourself, so be sure to keep eating' your Wheaties! Take care and talk to you soon.🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha....I was wondering if seeing a teddy bear vs. a rabbit vs. a turkey means anything! I don't know what a "little coms" are, but if you mean rosette flowers, then yes.

      We had a Silver Lace Vine growing up two posts (front and back) and over the top for about 10 years, but last year one died and this year the other died. Surreybrooke, where I'd bought it, didn't have any to sell this year by the time I went to enquire.

      Yes, I think your Mom must have given you a nudge to notice the year. We only have 13 ½ years to go to our 60th, so maybe we'll make.

      Delete
  9. Finally getting a chance to stop by and catch up, and WOW - however do you do it?! So much packed into one month. Wonderful excursions, baking classes, family gatherings; surely between now and next July you will have mapped out an adventure to embark upon in New Hampshire! I also saw the teddy bear ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October is proving to be even more jam packed! Yay! Teddy Bear is winning!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.