Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Monday, August 31, 2015

Out and About - August 2015


August has been all about getting ready for the Maryland Chapter of the Tasha Tudor Museum Society's Tasha Tudor 100th Birthday Celebration on the 28th.  Even my View Outside My Window post was about my plans for the upcoming celebration.  

We've been needing a new roof put on the house so we scheduled it on the 10th to get that out of the way. . . . 

The day the roofers arrived I tried to work on my painting for the month, but had to wait until the next day.  All the racket overhead was too distracting.  You can read this month's Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady here. . . .

Then I had my yearly mid-August sighting of the Hawk that visits our woods this time every year.  For the past 3 years it has appeared up close to the house.  This is the view from the window by my desk. . . .

We babysat Olivia.  Here she is with her buddy, Gabriel. . . .

Ken got busy finishing up the long section of our picket fence.  He replaced the cross boards and posts that had rotted.  Here he is re-staining all the pickets. . . .

Our second son's wife was off for her yearly visit to her family in Mexico so he came home for supper one Sunday.  We took him for ice cream in Middletown, the little town down the mountain where he went to Middle and High school. . . .

My doll, Hannah, won this lovely hand-knitted shaw and bonnet from Heather Sleightholm's Web Journal Audrey Eclectic Folk Art. . . .

Gabriel had he annual Vet check-up.  He was not too happy about it.  The doctor said he looked more like a 4-year-old than the 7 years that he is.  I think Olivia is keeping him young. . . .

This was the last regular babysitting we'll be doing for Olivia....but you can be sure we'll not let more than two weeks go by without seeing her!  She can maneuver this slide without any help now. . . .

She loves to sit in granddaddy's lap and play the songs on his iPad and try on grandmommy's shoes.  What is it with children and putting their feet into grown-up shoes?!  Don't they know they shouldn't be in such a hurry to fill our shoes. . . .

After three days of weeding my various garden beds and cleaning up the paths in the woods I had my last gathering of the Maryland Chapter of the Tasha Tudor Museum Society/first get-together of the new Society I've started.  It is the same group, but with a broader focus.. . .

Art:  Susan Branch
You can read about it here.  You can sign-up on the site's right-hand side of the page to receive e-mail notifications whenever I post on that Web Journal.

Next month I'll have lots more to show you as we're going to Vermont!   In the meantime. . . .

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!

20 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are discovering the joys of being a Grandparent. There is nothing more satisfying than knowing you may have a positive, nurturing, influence in their lives! I love you very much, my sis Cathy!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's wonderful to finally be a grandmother and to have a granddaughter. I feel very blessed. ❤️

      Delete
  2. What a busy month you've had, Cathy. I remember when we had a new roof installed and it was quite a racket! Olivia June is so cute with Gabriel--I know she brings you great joy. Good luck with your new web journal. How do you ever keep up with all of your journals?---one is all I can do! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't actually! Your comment just reminded me I haven't done one for Another Perfect Day this month so that's what I'll be doing tonight! Having so many different journals keeps me organized....until I have extra things to do like get ready for that birthday party.

      Delete
  3. Olivia June is just full of sunshine. I'm glad you will find ways to still see her often. I love your new society and am so impressed with all your ideas and thinking. i have to come back to more thoroughly digest all you have there. It looks like a good start to your new group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is lots. I want it to be a resource for lifting people out of the doldrums! Just looking for things to add to the Tabs at the top fills me with Joy. ❤️

      Delete
  4. I think your vet is absolutely right about Gabriel. He is certainly an active and happy little guy - I love the videos you post of him. I think he loves having a kiddo around occasionally too, when Olivia visits. Westies are so amiable and good-natured, always ready to join whatever their humans are doing. I can't think of a nicer dog to pair up with a toddler either. Although we are partial to Goldens in our family, a Golden is better when kids are school-age or older. Westies, and Corgis I think, are so great with little kids. Especially when they've grown up together. When I see Gabriel & Olivia I think of them as little siblings, but of course, since Gabriel is YOUR baby, that really makes him Olivia's uncle. So she is keeping the older people in her family young and spry! How cute she looks in that photo too! Is that navy blue and is it a sailor suit or dress? And I love the current trend that seems to be going around of putting little girls in leggings or pants with a dress over it for playtime. I would have appreciated the leggings when I was little, for sure. Would have made going down the slide much easier [and faster]. OK, some questions. Is the Maryland Tasha Tudor Society going on under new management'?? Or have you just sort of morphed the "Tasha people" into the Take Joy Society? That's how it sounds to me. I can be easily-confused so I just want to stay on top of things so I know exactly what you're doing. It sounds like a wonderful idea - you're going to have so much fun. Take care and talk to you soon. :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, Olivia's outfit is a dress I found at a yard sale for her. The MD Chapter of the TTMS is no longer unless someone makes a request to Amy Tudor to start one up. But you're right that I've "morphed" (great description!) the Tasha people to the Take Joy Society. I've asked everyone who gets my newsletter to re-sign-up if they want to continue in our group. I haven't heard from everyone yet, but will give them a few more days before I set up my new mailing list. Tasha will have a monthly feature as will Sarah Ban Breathnach's "Simple Abundance." Then in between I'll highlight other notable people, well-known or just known to me. Thanks for your encouragement!

      Delete
    2. Oh I love that Sarah Breathnach's books too. I have two of them - have had them for years. Very comforting and inspirational - even many practical ideas in them too. I don't know whether she's written more but I have two that are kind of like a journal - a page for each day of the year, if I remember correctly. Now I'm going to have to dig them out this afternoon and see. Then I'll probably wander around in both of them for at least an hour - Good Times. Take care... :>)

      Delete
    3. Janet, I'm glad to hear you're going to take another look at your Sarah Ban Breathnach books. I have several of her other ones. I really like her Romancing the Ordinary, too, but I never see them at used book sales like I do Simple Abundance, otherwise I would have given those out, as well.

      Delete
  5. Another enjoyable visit. Olivia is such a beautiful child, and her golden curls are straight out of a storybook. Hannah looks so snug in her new accessories. Enjoy your new free time, but I agree, you won't want to let too much time slip in between your visits with Olivia.
    ~~~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really excited about your Take Joy Society, Cathy! Your little granddaughter is adorable and getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Olivia is such a sweetheart, so adorable and must bring you great joy. You have certainly had a busy month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetheart is a good description of Olivia. She IS indeed one I take joy in.

      Delete
  8. Good luck with your new journal. It really sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. Thanks for sharing and have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad Gabriel got a clean bill of health. It is wonderful seeing the relationship between him and Olivia. It must be wonderful to see the hawk returning each year. It looks so huge. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing the hawk, but I wonder if it is the reason I saw a bunch of bird feathers in the yard!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.