Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Out and About - July 2015


We did a lot this month that I didn't photograph so I don't have much to show you.    But this is what I do have.....a visit to Brookside Gardens where we went in the Butterfly house. . . .

 Then a stroll through the gardens. . . .

This is the Children's Garden. . . .


They also have a conservatory. . . .


A morning of blueberry picking gave me this photo for my I Come in the Little Things web journal. . . .

This little girl came for a 5-day visit and gave me lots of photo opportunities for The Adventures of Raggedy Ann (aka Olivia June). . . .

I'm keeping the blurry photos because they capture the essence of her visit. . . .

Then we picked up our second son, Matt and his wife, Paola, at the airport after their vacation in Peru and Bolivia. They stayed the night and we celebrated his birthday with the whole family the next day and saw the photos of their amazing trip.  Paola made all the fixings for real Mexican tacos. . . .

That was a busy nine days for us!  Things got back to normal.  We went to one of our favorite yearly used book sales where I found Tasha Tudor's A Time to Keep for $1 and Susan Branch's first cookbook for $3, along with several other book authors I collect.  I also attended an afternoon of Dulcimer practice.  Then I helped Chris clean garlic in preparation for the Maryland Chapter's Tasha Tudor Museum Society gathering where we made garlic braids.   Deb wanted to see the matching garland I made last Christmas, so here they are together hanging in my kitchen. . . .

The month ended with Gabriel getting a much-need trim. . . .

And a day of babysitting with our little sweetheart.  I was able to go to her last day of swimming lessons.   Her mommy is holding her and the instructor is showing Olivia June how to move her arms so she can get to the ducky.  She needed no help to know what to do with her legs.  They were kicking the whole time she was in the water. . . .

                                     

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•
Take Joy!

18 comments:

  1. Dear Cathy ~ oh, how I struggle that people actually put their Tasha Tudor and Susan Branch books for resale! Still, to each their own, and it is your good luck that they did and now they have a good and loving home, so all is well. You see, I go on the premise that a book is for life, not just for Christmas, which is probably why I'm having a little difficulty in my cottage finding more room {cough}
    I always enjoy seeing images of flowers and butterflies, and yours are so good. I especially love the delicate shade of purple on the orchid.
    ~~~Deb in Wales~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the books. I also cringe when I see a loving note inscribed to the previous owner from someone who obviously felt close to them....

      Delete
  2. Cathy, you've had a busy month! It seems to me that time is passing so quickly. Is it really going to be August tomorrow? I enjoyed seeing the children's garden with the school desk. Yes it's always fun to keep the blurred photos of the grands on the move. I have some photos of Alex and Miles from last week as they were jumping from the swings--such energy. The little video of Olivia June in the pool is just adorable- and I must mention the table looks delish with authentic Mexican food. How nice to have a daughter-in-law that cooks! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is August tomorrow. I'm glad I do this monthly review so one month doesn't just meld into the next without taking notice!

      Delete
  3. Yes a busy month for you and I can't believe you found the two books at the sale. I probably never look deeply enough to get book treasures like that. I was thinking about going to my two year old grand's swim lesson this very morning but didn't. it's so good they start early. She loves the water. I hope you have a lovely weekend and be sure to see the blue moon tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I find them because they know they'll get a good home with me and "call out" to me! :-)

      Delete
  4. Wow, you really did have a busy July, Cathy! I hope you have a few days in August pencilled in for some feet-up relaxing. Especially if this August has as many dog days as it usually does. When I was teaching, it always seemed like the hottest days of the year were the one right before school started, when we teachers were working to set up our classrooms, up and down on stepstools & ladders and busy all day long. The first week of school was almost always really warm too. "Cranky-inducing weather," as one of my principals used to say. For students and teachers. How cute was Olivia swimming? It's so great for little kids to learn EARLY how much fun water can be - and how to be safe in it. My nephew is a Red Cross-certified lifeguard and water safety instructor, just like my Mom was, and they both taught classes of little kids, although I don't think Ryan has ever had kids as young as Olivia. Mom swam in the junior high pool for an hour every Monday night from the time I was in 5th grade until just a few months before she died. And we think Ryan was a water fiend from the day he was born. Anytime I ever had to give him a bath, I made sure I was wearing something that would dry quickly, like a light all-cotton tee shirt, because I knew I was going to get royally-soaked. The original happy-splashy baby, and toddler. For the last four Summers, he's been a full-time job as lifeguard at a nearby seniors-only apartment complex. Well, try to stay cool in August - and more Olivia videos! Take care and talk to you soon... :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think swimming is perfect for Olivia because she's constantly on the move. The lessons helped her learn to like putting her head in the water. Until then she'd give her mommy a hard time when she washed her hair.

      Delete
  5. Rabbit rabbit Cathy! Enjoyed the pictures of the gardens....it is SO HOT here. 100's for the last two weeks and more in the future. Not my idea of a good time. I am outside for a little each morning and that is the end! Seems like Oliva June was just born. It is so amazing how time flies. She is such a doll....no pun intended! My oldest granddaughter, now 18, started swimming before she could walk it seems. She is a beautiful swimmer, so at home in the water. So glad more parents are starting children swimming while they are young.
    Great book finds! I love used book stores, never know what you are going to find. It's a great adventure.
    Looking forward to SB's new book, wish I had it in my hands now to take my mind off this heat!
    Chris in W TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for you with those temperatures! I've been in the garden and yard all morning and I'm done for the day. It's OK if you can stay in the shade with a breeze, but even a minute of sun is draining at 85 degrees! Yes, even grand babies grow up too quickly. Actually, quicker I think, since I don't see her every day. This last time she was saying "What's that?" quite clearly. The next time we'll probably have a conversation!

      Delete
  6. What a tremendous month you had! It's hard to imagine there was more that you didn't manage to get pictures of! If it's true that misery loves company, please let Gabriel know that Fergus is also being forced to get a haircut this coming week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken took Gabriel to the Groomer this time. He said he ran up the steps and into the shop and seemed eager to go! When I take him he whines and balks at the door! I'm thinking maybe he thought I was inside. I'd put him in the car and then disappeared!

      Delete
  7. Thant was one very busy month Cathy :0) but filled to the brim with memories :D mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of memories! Thank you for stopping by, Mari.

      Delete
  8. Kitty & I have enjoyed reading your post, such beautiful flowers & I love Gabriels new haircut, Booby really needs one.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've had an eventful month, I would say. Always love a butterfly garden, who doesn't?! I can't believe the number of butterflies we have had this summer, it is just amazing. That is a little beauty you have for a granddaughter, she is a treasure and is growing up too fast! I did read your garlic rope-making adventure, that was fun. You really keep busy socially, it must be nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.