Good morning! Welcome to "Morning Musings".

Musings: to meditate, think, contemplate, deliberate, ponder, reflect, ruminate, reverie, daydream, introspection, dream, preoccupation, brood, cogitate.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Martha's Vineyard - Day 1


We spend our first night away from home visiting my brother and his wife and her father in Cheshire, CT.  We leave early the next morning so we can make the 1:15 ferry out of Woods Hole, MA.  The rain is coming down in torrents!  I follow the weather radar on Ken's iPad to give him encouragement that we'll be driving out of the worst of it soon.  Some really scary moments at times in our little 2-seater car!  But finally, we make the ferry with plenty of time to spare.  In fact, they put us on the noon ferry to Oak Bluffs.  I am a little sorry we won't be arriving at the Vineyard Haven dock as planned, but I am glad to get there an hour earlier.  Here we are driving onto the ferry....


We are on the M/V Martha's Vineyard....


....pulling away from the dock....


We're approaching Martha's Vineyard.  It is only 4 miles away but takes 45 minutes to make the crossing by ferry....


There's Oak Bluffs.  Yay!

After checking in at the realtor's office we head for the house.  Because of all the one-way streets we have to drive past Susan Branch's house to get to where we're staying.  It was because of Susan Branch's Blog that we decided to vacation on Martha's Vineyard.  She writes so glowingly about the island she lives on that we just had to see for ourselves....



Here is our street....just around the block.  Our driveway is just past that bank of bushes on the right before the trees....

We're here!  It's just as I hoped it would be...charming!


One of the neighborhood cats greets us and leads the way....


We unpack, take photos of the carriage house, then walk the 3 blocks into the little town of Vineyard Haven which is part of the area called Tisbury....

We stop at the Black Dog Bakery to buy sandwiches (they make a really good chicken salad with cranberries and walnuts) and enjoy the sun that has just come out....

We grocery shop at the nearby Stop and Shop, then go back to the house to get the car so we can go to the Tisbury Farm Market.  We drive around some more and find Cronig's Market--a much larger store where I find a beautiful bunch of flowers....

Then it's "home" to make supper....

 I step out into the garden to look back into the house.  Somehow it makes it all more real to me to see it from this perspective....

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I am enjoying your Martha's Vineyard entries! My hubby and I were in Falmouth AUG 2012..we went to MV for the day....I scheduled our day trip to be the day AFTER Grand Illumination Night that being a fan of Susan Branch myself, I was aware of this event taking place. Except they postponed it a day due to weather. I thought I would be avoiding the crowds but it was fine....unfortunately we did not stay late to see the lit lanterns decorating window shops and porches. And I did not get to Vineyard Haven even though I knew this is where Susan & Joe live...maybe next time! I will need to pull out my journal and look at my photos again! Can't wait to read more--very much enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please note: To prevent spam comments are published after moderation.